Faith of a mustard seed!

I believe in the faith of a mustard seed…………
I really do.
I love Miss Mustard Seeds blog…..

Miss Mustard Seed's Creative Blog

I really do.
But there is something missing……..

Here is the link to her blog where she actually shows you how she made her panels in 20 minutes…….
Do you remember when I told you that I wanted to tackle the curtains in her awesome blog?
Here is that link if you forgot…
I was going to tackle the curtains for my breakfast room first.
Then I decided to do my dining room because of the challenges of the french doors in breakfast room.
Didn’t want it to be too tough since I am doing this for the first time.
I’m smart like that.
They were going to go here…….
But the dining room would be easier…….so I thought.
I have found out one really important thing…….
Miss Mustard Seed I am not.

I also found out that…….

She gives AWESOME tutorials for DIY’ers……but for newbies, the non DIY or wanna’ be DIY’ers…….
Well, she skipped a few steps.
To help us all out, I will just note those for you.
Step 1:
Get your sewing machine out of the closet where it has set since you bought it at a yard sale.
Be proud that you got it for $5.00.
Step 2:
Go through the sewing notions box that you purchased at the same yard sale to ready yourself for this 20 minute project.
Be proud that you got it for $1.00
Step 3:
Pull the above photo’d item from your yard sale sewing notions box with a puzzled expression on your face….
Thinking…..is it a large seam ripper?
Some kind of fabric weight……….
Then place it on table and realize……….
Oh no, of course not, it is a cows hoof pin cushion.
Realize why you got the box for $1.00
Step 4:
Go get a drink and feel sorry for yourself because you do not have a clue at what you are doing…and know this is NOT going to take you 20 minutes.
Plus, you have a cow’s hoof pincushion for Pete’s sake….what were you thinking?
Step 5:
Go back into dining room, where you realize that the first panel that took you 45 minutes to cut was useless.
 Why, you ask?
Because, thinking you were smarter than the average DIY’er, YOU decided to use your Craigslist awesome curtains ,that you have hanging in your Master Bedroom as a guide for your desired length.
Why didn’t other DIY’ers think of that, you think……
  Those curtains were the perfect length……..and NOW after cutting your first panel, you realize that you didn’t take into effect hemming, their pinched pleats etc…..
Your fabric from using your finished curtains as a guide = 77″ , which does not equal 95 desired inches….
Then after going back to her blog to see how she measured her length, you also realize she used her whole 58″ inches width.
Which makes you confused, because you cut yours in half thinking she did that for each panel.
You then have to go back to her blog and  count the birds in her photo of each panel, to see that she uses the whole width……whole width = three birds……wahhhhhhh…..
At this time you also realize that unrolling the whole fabric roll to try to make it easier to handle is……..well…..
STUPID
and you have to take about 25 more minutes alone, to roll the fabric back up.
That was just step 5.
Step 6:
Eat a chili hot dog your husband just made on the grill because you are now having a FULL OUT PITY PARTY and thinking that you are more like an “IGTHSTDIFM” (I’m going to hire someone to do it for me) kind of girl, instead of a DIY genius like Miss Mustard Seed.
Then get over it.……and face the fact that you know you can’t afford the alternative.
Besides, the initials are too long to remember.
IGTHSTDIFM…..not too catchy.
  And…..you have already invested
THREE HOURS INTO GETTING YOUR FIRST PANEL DONE…….
so you know you must pursue.
Step 7:
Take your Walmart sheets that you purchased as a liner, open them up with relief, because you are now at that point of Miss Mustard Seeds tutorial,  and realize…..
YOU PURCHASED FITTED NOT FLAT SHEETS!!!!!
Step 8:
Cry.….no photo attached because I am an ugly crier.

Step 9:
Cut out your last four panels and use a measuring tape in your cow hoof box of goodies.
  Then realize on your last panel, that you used 95″, which was the length you wanted, but you forgot to take into account the hem again!
Decide you will adjust to that.
95″ does not equal 95″ when you hem and do the ruffle thing.
Know that you have no clue how exactly you will adjust to it….. but you will.

Step 10:
Calm down and get ready to sew your first “inside outside pillow case like curtain panel” with your ONE FLAT SHEET, and realize, that after calling Ms. Paparazzi, your sewing machine is missing its foot?
Not only the foot, but the other piece,  the one that for those of you that know how to sew, can tell is missing in this photo.

You know…right where the big ‘ole gaping hole is on the bottom?

Realize why you paid $5.00 for it
and cry.
Step 11:
Fold fabric back up……
Run to Walmart and get the correct sheets.
Buy fulls, for more money, because they have no twin flats and you are DE-TERM-INED to finish this project….
Then place the fabric and the sheets in the back of your car, for your seamstress to hem and put the rod pocket in.
And realize that this is now,  a “IGTHSTDIFM” project…….and you are a DIY loser.
Step 12:
Be glad that you tried…..be sad that you failed but look forward to the next project!
think that you will never attempt to do this kind of stuff again!
Those are the additional steps that I went through. No exaggeration…if anything, not as bad as real life.
Ask my hubby ; ) poor thing…..

I just thought that I would remind you all of what is real.
Many of you have said that these ideas have inspired you to do a craft or project.
We ALL need to realize, that we are going to have to start somewhere.

The circumstances that this economy has brought on, are challenging us ALL to do more for less.

And……

For those of you who are so much wiser than me and would have tackled a project that you could handle first…..
You are smart!
Some of you have a head start on me!
I am glad.
Quit talking about it…..and DO IT!
She really does make this easy and I knew that if I didn’t ever try, I would never get to the point where I could accomplish.

I haven’t gotten there yet.
It might take some failures to get there.
sob….hiccup……sniffle.

But I can’t just share the successes.
Although, I would like to.
Dang it.

Just know that I haven’t quit!

I will attempt the breakfast room curtains after a brief rest.
Right now, I am just going to chew on some hormone tablets….get my sewing machine fixed….stick to painting stuff for a bit…….and run by the seamstress first.
(PS….THE CURTAINS ARE DONE…..LINK HERE!)
Love, Me
ps
remember her link:

Miss Mustard Seed's Creative Blog

You’ve gotta start somewhere!
She is a great place to start.

I’m also linking up to:

Weekend Bloggy Reading
freckled laundry

Keeping It Simple
Making
Sumo Sweet Stuff

Photobucket

0 thoughts on “Faith of a mustard seed!

• February 14, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Enjoyed hearing about your mishap…but am really interested in the chewable hormone pills?????

• February 15, 2011 at 6:17 pm

I got here from JaG’s link-up. This was hilarious (sorry its at your expense!) but also such a good reminder. Its so easy to read a blog and think we should all be able to accomplish anything that’s put up on the web without taking into account personal strengths and levels of ability. Thanks for sharing even though you didn’t get the result you were hoping for!

• February 15, 2011 at 6:58 pm

Thanks for stopping by Megan. I am having to take my DIY progress in steps. Hard for a girl that always thought she was pretty creative! There’s some good stuff out there! Enjoyed your blog http://o-show.blogspot.com/ and will enjoy it more days to come, I’m sure…..

Love, Me

• February 15, 2011 at 10:25 pm

I also came from JAG. I laughed until I cried about your cow-hoof pin cushion! My kids came in asking what was wrong with me! I hope you can get the curtains you want. Sorry about your experience, but thanks for the laugh.

• February 15, 2011 at 10:52 pm

Crystal, Thank YOU for stopping by as well. Let’s hope my experiences only improve on my DIY path! I am glad you all enjoyed and plan to share EVERY step. Good or bad ; )
    Love, Me

• February 16, 2011 at 7:04 pm

I was rolling reading this post. Believe it or not, I have been there! I’ve been determined to finish a project and everything is going wrong. I want to cry and scream and pay any amount of money to have it finished. I’m glad you’re not giving up and you’re taking a deep breath. This is an easy project and YOU CAN DO IT! 🙂 Show me when they’re finish.

• February 16, 2011 at 7:49 pm

Thank you for stopping by and for a word of encouragement. I canNOT wait for the day when I say making curtain panels is EASY! EASY SHMEASY!
    : ) Something to look forward to! Keep up the good work and thanks so much for sharing your experiences with all of us! Love, me

• February 16, 2011 at 8:32 pm

Hi Me. Great post. I’m stopping by from MMS. She has great tutorials and makes you feel like you can accomplish great things. She is right about the panels being easy, once you have the right tools. Although, she must be really fast at everything because she said it only takes her 3-4 hours to redo a chair. It took me that long just to pull the staples on mine!

Best of DIY luck. I’m following along to see what’s next.

• February 16, 2011 at 8:41 pm

Oh thank you so much for such a fantastic and REAL post!! It’s great to hear another side of the DIY story and know that it’s not always as easy as it is made to appear on some of the DIY blogs! I just bought my first ever sewing machine last weekend….I haven’t opened the box….I’m SCARED! But I will get there, and when I do I am sure I will have a post that goes something like yours! (probably worse since I have NEVER used a sewing machine!)

• February 16, 2011 at 8:44 pm

Oh my gosh… I’m dyin’ here! This was a hilarous truthful take and something I’d totally live myself!

The video spoof I made of MMS sewing didn’t even get plugged IN. See how smart I was? LOL

I think you should try again. I need proof a newbie can do this and better you than me. 🙂

Donna

• February 16, 2011 at 8:59 pm

Thank you I’m sooo glad I’m not the only one. This made my day! LOL BUT, did you remember to match the pattern from panel to panel? LOL

• February 16, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Suesan….you are already accomplishing great things! CanNOT wait to follow your blogs and see your accomplishments!

The Vintage Farmhouse, OPEN IT! You will have at least accomplished that step ; ) I plan to follow your blog as well and can’t wait until I can share your projects!

Funky Junk Interiors…..quit trying to make me feel good ; ) You are SUCH the pro but gotta love it that you might mess up now and then as well! I plan to try again : )

Becky…..YOU ARE FREAKING ME OUT! DOES THAT MEAN MY CURTAINS AREN’T GOING TO MATCH! FOR REAL? I don’t know what YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT! HELP ME! LIKE A BIRD ON A DIFFERENT ROW??? I DIDN’T THINK OF THAT!!!! WAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!

• February 16, 2011 at 9:25 pm

Hi,
    I popped over from Miss Mustard Seed. Bless your little heart for trying to do those curtain panels. you are so right. You will never learn unless you give it a try. Doing and failing isn’t bad; it’s never doing at all that is bad. So two thumbs up for you for trying and now that you have had a few bumps in the road you will do better next time.
    I will be back to see your curtain panels because I know you will succeed!

• February 16, 2011 at 9:34 pm

Oh My God..My son came running to see what was wrong with Mom. You gave me the laugh of the century. I almost P?? my pants. You are one great entertainer. sorry about the mishap and the disappointing discovery of missing parts on your sewing machine. I can’t sow for beans, so there. At least you are trying. I discovered you from Miss Mustard seeds blog…I am now a follower. Looking forward to seeing more.
    Caroline

• February 16, 2011 at 9:36 pm

OHG you are the best writer. The blog was so entertaining to read, I would make those panels for you if I was close enough. Just because you made my day. Came over from MMS I will defiantly be following your progress.

• February 16, 2011 at 9:40 pm

Don’t feel too bad.I tried to make a sofa slipcover.Needless to say I wadded it up and stuffed it in the coat closet.Do you wanna trade?I’ll give you the slipcover in exchange for that cow hoof pin cushion!LOL! Anyhow, I enjoyed your post(you are very funny) and am following you now.

• February 16, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Waaaay funny, I’m more like you than MMS! and hey that chili dog looks dang good! Come by for a visit!
    hugs,
    Debra

• February 16, 2011 at 9:51 pm

I’m not laughing at you, I’m laughing with you!
    Believe me I was not laughing or crying lets just say it wasn’t pretty.
    SORRY, But yes you got it. I made this mistake at 30.00$$$$ a yard!!!, on my drapes and didn’t notice it till I cut three panels! The only fix was drive 45 min one way to buy more fabric!

• February 16, 2011 at 9:58 pm

You girlfriend are one hilarious chick 🙂 I sooo enjoyed reading your post! You will figure it out. How we all wish we could be MMS or Donna – but lets get real. I put them right up there with Martha Stewart – she makes EVERYTHING look so stinkin easy. Pssshh – whatever….

I am definitely following you now – you are right up my alley 🙂
    TTFN
    XOX

• February 16, 2011 at 9:58 pm

Thanks for the laugh! I was reliving my experience making “pioneer dresses” for our youth pioneer trek last summer!! Nearly the same experience…sans cow hoof! lol
    I’ll be back to see how the curtains come out!

• February 16, 2011 at 11:11 pm

I laughed so hard my husband came to see what was up. Honey, take heart. There is not a one of us that hasn’t started something for the first time without incident. Keep on trying. You have another follower in me.

• February 16, 2011 at 11:30 pm

Oh my goodness…I have tears in my eyes from laughing so hard. You sound like ME! I have soooooo been there! I totally feel your pain! You now share the thrown with all of us DIY nighmares who try to bite off more then we can chew!!! In all honesty though….I still think you can do it!!! You are armed with a cow hoof!!! Nothing can beat you now!!!!! =)

• February 17, 2011 at 12:38 am

Coming by from Marian’s. I’ve never laughed so hard in my life whilst feeling so bad for someone! You poor thing. I have a feeling my slipcover project will beckon a similar post! Love your humor!

Jami

• February 17, 2011 at 12:54 am

LOL LOL LOL Thanks for sharing what many of us have experienced. Good luck on your sewing project, I can barely sew a seed! 🙂

• February 17, 2011 at 2:06 am

WOW!! You just described my crafting process to a T!!! I had no idea that anyone else went through the same kinds of self-torture. I sense the beginnings of a new support group~~what do you all think? Have a great day, everyone, and remember that God gave each of us different gifts (although I do think there might be a few folks who went through that line more than once!). Blessings to all! MaryCinVA

• February 17, 2011 at 2:09 am

Hi Me,

What a great post! Have totally been you. When MMS or any blogger says that their project will take 20 minutes I know that it will take me two days, maybe three! Those slipcovers – yep one week! And that was for a chair! I need to find the hormone things! But I’ve found that chocolate works too! Keep up the good work!

Paula

• February 17, 2011 at 2:54 am

Wow, thanks for the laughs! I do hope you get to make your dream curtains one day. I can’t get over the hoof-pin cushion!!! New follower.

• February 17, 2011 at 3:32 am

You are hilarious! And I admire your perseverance, plus writing about it. I can totally relate to DIY projects gone wrong… the many that are unfit for public consumption & don’t make it into my blog… the messed up parts I have to redo & rephotograph. Good luck with the breakfast curtains!

-caroline

• February 17, 2011 at 4:10 am

I haven’t laughed so hard in such a long time. My sixteen year old son was right there with me (we really needed to connect and we did reading your blog). Thank you for that! I’m praying your drapes turn out as beautiful as your spirit.

• February 17, 2011 at 4:34 am

You MADE my night!!! I am laughing outloud and crying a little tear from laughing SO hard! Thank you for sharing this. This was me trying to sew a slipcover like MMS…it was a big FAIL. But I did try again and it was much better the second time. You are right, you have to start somewhere. I am about to follow you here in a sec..I cannot wait to hear about your future projects. You have a way with words!
    Blessings on you!!

• February 17, 2011 at 4:52 am

I sew very rarely because it infuriates me. I always fight with my machine. One of these days it will go through a window, I swear. Thanks for the laugh.

• February 17, 2011 at 4:56 am

I am nearly peeing my pants!! This is the most refreshingly funny post I have ever read!! You have truly made my day – thank you!!!!

• February 17, 2011 at 11:10 am

oh, I laughed and laughed…how many times do we see a tute and go, oh, yeah, that looks easy (tried following a recipe that bombed recently) – I loved this post and think it might make my top ten. Good for you for trying, next time that cow hoof cushion thingy will put you over the top!

• February 17, 2011 at 12:00 pm

Your post was so refreshing and made my day. I was laughing with you though….because I have been there. Your sense of humor is wonderful! Keep trying…you will make those dining room curtains before you know it!

I follow MMS and Funky Junk Interiors as well. Their projects can be intimidating, but they are so wonderful to share their talents with us! I will now follow your blog as well.

Blessings!

• February 17, 2011 at 12:29 pm

Hahaha! Totally can relate – I usually end up hurting myself somehow during my projects along with messing stuff up. Following you now..no pressure, just keep me entertained! JenT

• February 17, 2011 at 1:10 pm

Oh MY!! Isn’t that what best friends are for—-to finish your “I tried to make it projects”?

I was too busy taking trig and algebra classes to fit home ec in…..how I wish I had! It’s taken me 30 years to get that sewing machine figured out.
    Thanks for sharing your pain. I WANT your hormone pills too!

• February 17, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Cheryl, could you be any sweeter? Is this my mom using a fake pen name? What sweet encouragement from a quilter for goodness sake! I will brush myself off and try again ; ) Will have to follow your blog and canNOT wait to see all that you create.

Piorra, I take your comment as a compliment, since I just peeked at your blog and had a great laugh. Love your humor and will sign up as a follower! Cannot believe your stool ; )

Sensible Redesign….I will pay the shipping and handling! ; ) I canNOT believe your chest you painted on your blog! Will sign up as a follower and can’t wait to see what you do next!

Tami, the sad thing is….I wanted to start with the slipcover but thought panels would be easier??? What was I thinking? You are awesome if you did the slipcover! Love the music on your blog! Following along!

Debra, Stopped by and am following. A sweet way to start my day!

Becky….I could Pee-UKE! I ran to seamstress after your comment! Nooooooooooooo!!!! They’re all uneven! Fabric.com here I come ; )

Lolo, Just followed your blog and love your trough! Can’t wait to see what your plans are there!

Jeannetta, I would love to see your pioneer dresses! Come back anytime….regretfully…this kind of story is easy for me to tell as if it is going to happen, it will…..to me : )

Linda, what sweet words of encouragement as well! I just followed your blog and intend to learn some things!

• February 17, 2011 at 1:57 pm

Kelli, I canNOT imagine a fail from you! Your items are beautiful and just followed along to be able to learn from another pro!

Molly, Don’t throw it out the window! I will just buy it at your yardsale for $5.00 ; ) Following your blog and can’t wait to see where it goes!

Anji, What an artistically beautiful blog! Following along! Glad you could “refreshingly pee” your pants at my expense ; )

Green Gracie Home….following along your blog! Your whoopie pie is making me drool! I won’t even think I can tackle that!

Donna Brady, Aren’t they sweet in how open they share their ideas and secrets! I think that is the neatest thing! They are so talented though and I am now realizing that it takes a bit more skill to attempt their easy projects. I am going to get there though!

Jen T….just glad to have you along for my ride ; ) Just followed yours AND I CANNOT BELIEVE YOUR SLIPCOVER!!! So not worthy! I will just keep it real for pro’s like you on the wanna be’s like me ; )

Michelle, the one home ec where I made the little wrap around skirt and play time on my Holly Hobbie sewing machine did NOT prepare me for this project! My hormone pills = Reeses pieces ; )

Love, Me

• February 17, 2011 at 1:59 pm

Too funny… Great post!! Cow’s hoof pin cushion!?!? Hi-larious!!! You definitely get an A++++++++++++ for effort on the curtains!! Hang in there!!

Kendra

• February 17, 2011 at 2:11 pm

You know there is a really good thing here!
    Just think you didn’t sew them! LOL,
    and you can still use the fabric on some thing else? Yes!
    I know maybe a slipcover, I’m sure MMS has a tutorial for that! I’ll look and send you the link; I know you’ll appreciate it. LOL In all seriousness I have been there.
    Have a great day!

• February 17, 2011 at 2:38 pm

YEAH! YEAH! YEAH! about the draperies….

I need to know about the HORMONE tablets!

xo
    ~Kolein

• February 17, 2011 at 2:53 pm

omg! You are cracking me up! Please, keep in mind, that I too have been in your shoes. But, now , I’m to the point where I’ve made my own sofa slip covers! You will get there! It just takes a lot of mistakes and it has to cost you a lot of time and money first. lol! good luck!!

• February 17, 2011 at 4:28 pm

hilar! you should get some sort of honor for sticktoitiveness! i have been wanting a machine so i can attempt my own panels, pillow covers, and more but have dragged my feet because i KNOW your experience will be mine!:) but you have encouraged me to take the leap. by the time i get going you will probably be a regulary miss mustard seed yourself!

also, go gamecocks!!

• February 17, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Laugh out Loud funny post! I am not the only one who sews like that? You should see the hem on my dining room curtains, 2 completely different lengths. That cow foot pin cusion is crazy, one of those what were they thinking type of yard sale finds.
    Great post! Keep trying at the sewing, I keep telling myself it gets easier, right?
    ~Danylle

• February 17, 2011 at 8:17 pm

I must also say, along with so many others, that the more you sew the better you will become at sewing. I have no real training at all. Observation, perhaps. Knowing what I like, maybe, or how I want things to look. But no training, except for the hands on kind. Over and over and over and over again. And then again. I never thought I would be sewing slipcovers or clothes or drapes or ruffles or pleats or zippers! Zippers!!! Did you hear what I said? ZIPPERS have scared me my entire sewing life!!! NOT ANY LONGER.

The advice that others above are handing out may not sink in because you may be clouded by the saga you just went through. However, I will say that IF you keep at it, YOU WILL BECOME SO GREAT AT IT THAT YOUR MIND WILL BLOW. Mine is. I NEVER thought I would be able to get anything straight or together or ZIPPED!!! I started a blog a little over a year ago and am sewing like crazy. I actually LOVE it! I went on vacation with my husband and sons recently and couldn’t wait to get back to sew!

I told you I NEEDED those HORMONE TABLETS!

xo
    ~Kolein
    You are going to create some awesome stuff!

• February 17, 2011 at 8:20 pm

Hopping over from MMS. Oh my gosh! Hilarious post! (I also felt your frustration!) You’re right though – gotta start somewhere. MMS does make it look easy, doesn’t she?

• February 17, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Patty, It is funny because I was looking at the cow hoof pic thinking…..ok, it is sorta cute….should I recover the little bonnet thingy? Then I thought…..what am I thinking? I don’t know how to recover it?! I LOVE YOUR BLOG and LOVE YOUR STYLE!!! Just signed up as a follower and can’t wait to see your ideas!

Freckled Laundry! How sweet is your blog? I just signed up as follower and canNOT wait to see slipcovers! Can’t imagine tackling that yet but can’t wait until I can!

Mary, You are so sweet! I can’t even imagine your wisdom and insight into our kids worlds! Like the title of your blog!

MaryCinVa- Encouraging to us all! Keep stopping by! We need your words of encouragement!

Southern Shop Girls – We all have a cow hoof kind of day don’t we? I am soooo impressed that you even did a slipcover. Just signed up as a follower of your blog and cannot wait to show others some of your ideas. Have you checked out Design Mom, Gabby Blair…..I bet you would love her. Your blog reminded me of her.

Ellie, Just signed up as a follower and you made me miss my “womb” : ) Keep stopping by and I will keep checking in!

C.W. Frosting, Just signed up as a follower of your blog. Can’t wait to see it grow and your idea evolve. Do you have to be a medical student and take the time to have a great blog? Dang……I’m impressed! : )

Laurie, Your comment touched me more than ANYTHING. I have a fifteen year old that I crave those moments of connection with! I will do ANYTHING stupid for you and post about it if it brings you those moments of joy! : )

• February 17, 2011 at 8:51 pm

Creative Ambitions….I should slap your verse on your blog on my cows hoof as a reminder ; ) Just signed up as a follower on your blog. Thank you for stopping by and would love to share some of your ideas soon!

Kolein, You CRACK ME UP! If those things came in chewable form our husbands and significant others would be putting them in our food, drink, mouths when we sleep ; ) Don’t they wish! Thanks for coming by! Signed up as a follower! A personal line of clothing for tall woman! How clever! Got any ideas for short and chunky girls like me? : )

Momma Hen, Love the name! I think that is what KILLS me……I was doing this to SAVE money and it is sucking it up! Glad to know you had some of the same experiences ! Just “joined” your site. Looks sooo neat!

Stacy! A gamecock lover responding! My husband just gave a “Go Cocks!” your way! You just made his day ; ) You are also challenging me because now I know I canNOT quit! We’ll be starting together! Of course, I have to get my sewing machine in working order first! : ) Just followed your greenseed blog! no way to follow Theology on Tap? Love it!

NanaMoon aka Danylle, just followed your Silver Valley Craft blog. Hope to share some ideas soon! Thank you so much for coming by and it is so funny what we find at yard sales…..never even looked in that box until the day I tried the curtains.

Kolein, Take a bag of reese pieces….chew them slowly in a hot bath ; ) That’s my hormonal remedy ; ) Actually, don’t! Love your energy! I cannot even picture myself sewing a zipper. I tried a pair of jeans once on my Holly Hobbie sewing maching. Laid my little brother down….traced him…..cut it out and sewed them. Couldn’t get his foot in them. Should have told me I didn’t have much of a future in the way of sewing.

Amber, how kee-ute is your blog! I think I followed it…..it’s a little smarter than me plus I got sidetracked looking where your follower button thingy was when I saw your son with a pea stuck in his nose. HILARIOUS! Your JUTE MONOGRAM was a-dor-a-ble! I have jute….I have initials…..why didn’t I think of that? Will you let me know if I missed it somewhere. Want to share some of your ideas and will link to your blog! Thanks!

• February 17, 2011 at 9:38 pm

You are absolutely PRECIOUS and I am laughing so hard now I have the hiccups….:)))

• February 17, 2011 at 9:38 pm

O, and I am signing up to follow…I don’t want to miss your NEXT project. :))

• February 17, 2011 at 9:41 pm

cow hoof pin cushion??? that is the funniest thing I’ve ever heard of…wouldn’t you like to meet a woman that MADE that thang!! HAAAHHHAAAA…

• February 17, 2011 at 10:05 pm

I have not stopped laughing at your post – thank you for being so honest w/your attempts. I thought it was just me 😉

I can’t wait to see your next project

• February 17, 2011 at 10:29 pm

hoof pin cushion! you can’t script that kind of funny. My friend shared this link, said she thought of me and was laughing the whole time she read this (she is the Miss Mustard type). I’m glad someone else is in my boat.

For the record, I made curtains once. Thought I’d be real fancy with two fabrics, one smaller section on top, bigger panel below. No, the upper pannels don’t match in width, but everyone has been so nice not to point it out! 🙂

• February 17, 2011 at 10:32 pm

I too came from MMS to check this out…..you missed your calling girl, you should be an entertainer!! All of the above posts prove out that theory…you are an entertainer and an excellent one at that. I too laughed till I cried…darlin we’ve all been there. I bet MMS could tell you some tales of woe similar to yours, surely she wasn’t born with more talent than the law should allow…..???!!! OK, maybe she was….. probably born with a brush in her hand!! I too could tell you some sad tales of some of my efforts but I’m still to close to that point, sooo can’t face that lol. I definitely will start following your story as I love to laugh and will never give up trying new things. Good luck to you in your future endeavors, I know you will be a huge success. Lastly, thank you for the great story…so well told. Take care.
    Just another beginner,
    trudy

• February 18, 2011 at 12:13 am

Stopping over from Miss Mustard Seed…Thank God you have a sense of humor! I have created some “interesting” projects when I first began sewing…I wasn’t laughing afterward. Keep trying. You’ll be a seamstress before you know it. That cows hoof pin cushion is one of a kind and I hope never to see something like that again. 🙂
    Nan

• February 18, 2011 at 12:48 am

I came over from MMS’s blog, too. This was hysterical, and I can totally relate. And then to find out about the chewable hormone pills! I love it! Thanks so much for sharing and being REAL!

Blessings,
    Marilyn

• February 18, 2011 at 3:20 am

Hi Me,

Thanks so much for visiting our blog. We are honored and feel like we among elites – you included! I just showed Jennifer (my daughter) your blog and I laughed until I cried – for the second time!

I can’t wait to read your entire blog – we are brand spanking new followers! And I’m headed out to find Design Mom right now. You are wonderful and we are looking forward to reading you every day! =)

Paula

• February 18, 2011 at 3:57 am

BJ, Thanks for stopping by! Cute blog!Following in just a minute and hope to share your ideas!

• February 18, 2011 at 4:04 am

Growing Small, Thanks for stopping by! Keep checking in! Would love to hear from you again!

Trudy, there is something telling me that you are being sweet and I bet you are NOT a beginner! You are too kind! I would love to hear of your projects and successes!

Nan, you are sweet. I canNOT imagine being able to call myself a seamstress! YAY! Keep checking in!

Marilyn, what is it with us women that relate to our hormone pills? Wouldn’t it be lovely? : ) Thanks for stopping by!

Paula, too sweet…….let me know if Design Mom fits your style…..just curious! Keep checking in. : )

• February 18, 2011 at 4:12 pm

To funny and the story of my life. I CANNOT sew. I can dream it up, wish it done but it never seems to go the way I picture in my mind or the way the tutorial explains it. Sorry your curtains didn’t happen the way you had planned but thank you for the wonderful moment of “real-life”. Happy Weekend,
    Heidi

• February 19, 2011 at 3:17 am

Oh my gosh!!! I love your blog!!! I just happened on it through (ok..I don’t even know where I was when I stumbled on it), but you are wayyyy great! I am also a diy wanna be….love love love any type of crafting, but this story is so me! Your blog is totally awesome…keep diy’in and I look for to reading more!

• February 19, 2011 at 3:48 am

Oh yeah….I am so following your blog! You’ve got loads of talent and I can’t wait to read more!! You don’t even realize how awesome you are…all those “other” blogs ain’t got nothing on you! Keep it up!!

• February 19, 2011 at 5:32 am

Heidi, thank you for your sympathy and stopping by! Just followed up to your blog. Going to enjoy following along!

Tagdak, hilarious how you found your way here and have no clue. I have done that a million times…..but girl…check out some GOOD blogs! You are sweet but I’m plain ole plain ole. I am worried to death you will expect alot more than I can produce. I will keep trying the diy and would love to have you keep stopping by. Thanks again!

Love, Me

• February 20, 2011 at 6:53 pm

You are funny! Imagine how happy you will feel when you come back to it and do get it finished! I know you will!
    Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can’t wait to see what you have for next week!
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

• February 21, 2011 at 3:54 am

Oh, I wish I were close by, I would love to come help you with these curtains! I”m sorry for your frustrations but we’ve all been there! Get a foot for that machine or buy a new one. (I’m an experienced seamstress and I just bought a 169.00 machine from Amazon which I really LOVE!) Every sewing project gets a bit easier-even when periodic seam ripping occurs! Don’t give up! Meghan

• February 21, 2011 at 5:59 am

This is the funniest post I think I have ever read. My husband called from the other room to see if I was okay (I was laughing so hard). I’m right there with you. I tried sewing a drawstring bag on Sat and I couldn’t believe how much I really had to think about it(how to do it). You’re a great writer, good luck with future projects.

• February 21, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Becky and Allie thanks for stopping by! Can’t wait to see what you all come up with next!

Meghan…..I wish you were close by! It is still in the back of my car. I will get it to repair shop today!

Jamie, I am soooooo glad you can sympathize. I need pity! Thanks for coming by and keep on visiting. Love to hear the sympathy ; )

• February 22, 2011 at 8:21 am

This is awesome! Pretty much wraps up my attempt at doing a photo memory quilt for my mom for Christmas one year…4 years later as I was tired of the constant anticipation every Christmas of the finished product!!! Which we all knew was not coming!!! I hired a quilter to finish it…she was very kind…as she tore the whole thing apart!!!! Worth every penny to see my mom’s surprise when she did get the finished quilt…did I tell who finished it???? That is for me to know…he he! Love your site!

• February 25, 2011 at 2:50 am

Tracy, Thank you so much for stopping by! I hope to hear from you more often. We have a kindred spirit with our mishaps! : ) Love, Me

• February 26, 2011 at 4:52 am

First I started reading this and I kind of chuckled…then I laughed out loud…and then by then end my shoulders were shaking…this is absolutely hysterical! I just love your complete honesty and the way you took us all along on the curtain panel ride with you. 🙂 We all need to keep it real here in blogland and you are doing just that! I have had many mishaps with my diy ventures so you are in good company for sure. Thank you so much for coming over to the Fence today and linking this up to Inspiration Friday!
    Vanessa

• February 26, 2011 at 6:33 pm

Okay this is Heather from At The Picket Fence…the cow hoof pin cushion has got to be one of the funniest things I have seen in a long time!

Seriously, this post is hysterical! Forget sewing curtain panels, just keep writing cause you are fabulous at it!

Heather@At The Picket Fence

• February 26, 2011 at 8:08 pm

This post made me laugh and reminded me why I have never attempted to sew anything. I’m sure that it would go about as smoothly as your experience. Thanks for linking my Flaunt it Friday party and keeping it real, not everything turns out perfect for us diyers. 🙂

• February 26, 2011 at 10:21 pm

Simply beautiful. I’m sure we’ve all been there. I know I definitely have been. Thanks for sharing and good luck with the next attempt.

• February 26, 2011 at 10:50 pm

This made me laugh, but quite often I comfort myself with junk food (ie. a chili dog). LOL at the cow hoof–too funny! I love it when other bloggers share mishaps b/c that is real life. No one gets it perfect all the time. 😉

Thank you so much for linking up with my Weekend Bloggy Reading party. 🙂 Have fun finding a new blog friend or two, and I hope you’ll visit Serenity Now again soon. 🙂

• April 5, 2011 at 7:52 pm

Can I just tell you how much I loved this post? I consider myself a pretty knowledgeable DIY-er, but we have all ran into those projects that we just can’t seem to tackle. I love that you put it out there – I do it constantly on my blog and I swear I’m the only one. If it makes you feel better, I broke 4 needles Sunday trying to sew a dog bed. A DOG BED FOR GOODNESS SAKE – the easiest thing to sew, with the least amount of scrutiny from the user. Thanks for your perseverance, I love it!

• June 26, 2013 at 12:37 pm

Take heart!! I have been sewing for 55+ years and my dining room curtains are 1″ too short :^(
    I forgot to allow for the back side of the 1″ top flange……
    Yep, I hung them anyway..someday I will find more fabric cheap and replace them!!
    Thanks for letting me know that “stuff” happens to other people as well :^)
    Blessings to you,
    J

• June 27, 2013 at 6:46 am

Thank you so much for your encouragement. I have enjoyed reading your sweet comments. Love having you here! XOXO!