I’m almost afraid to show you……

I have a DIY project.
I really do.
It follows the rules…..I DID IT MYSELF.
With the recent attention to my blog from real “DIY’ers”, I’m afraid to show it…
I AM EMBARRASSED!
I know you might not approve!
The “cows hoof misery” was bad enough…..ok?
But I need help……so, I wanted to get your opinions.
I will stop there but first let me explain myself.
My dining room has always been a struggle.
When we built the home, I didn’t really design the room to accommodate a full size dining room table.
My main thought was that I wanted a fireplace.
I could NOT be deterred. To eat by a fire was just so cool to me.
Warm and cozy, like “Little Women”…my favorite movie at that time.
That was my deep thought process.
Not, I want a fireplace in my dining room, therefore make sure dining room can accommodate diners…….
No, just that a fireplace to eat by=NEATO.
Dang it……
So the dining room has been a library……a sitting room and a non-functioning dining room in it’s fifteen years.
A couple of it’s issues.
One:
We built the fireplace not exactly centered. The walls on each size are different.
So, without being able to use that area for storage it was really wasted space.
I tried this look.
Didn’t like it.
It felt like a store display shelf.
Bought it at a yard sale….sold it on Craigslist for a profit shortly after.
Then I tried this look.
A fake olive tree. All good but not functional.
I wanted a built in shelf look without the built in shelf price but no matching pieces ever fit because of the different wall sizes on each side of fireplace.
Issue 2:
Our storage units we were using in the room….one in between the window and one by entrance to kitchen was making a functioning table feel too crowded to sit at and dine.
Here you can barely see the table in between the windows but it’s there.
You sorta had to struggle to get by the table or around it. It just made it so crowded.
 This was my old armoire (did I spell that right?) from my bedroom and it fit just perfectly on this wall and gave us the ability to have storage. For china….and stuff……
But with this piece….a big ole table and the table in between the windows….It just felt too crowded.
I started contemplating how to get a built in look by fireplace.
I knew I couldn’t afford to have them built…..knew I couldn’t tackle it alone.
Then one night….in a DYI hormonal moment, an idea popped in my head.
Why didn’t I take the table that was in between the window and move it to the left of the fireplace???
This end table had a twin!
  I used it by the front door and I thought it just might fit by the fireplace on the other side!
Finally! I would have matching units on each side of the fireplace!
That would give more room to walk around the table……
It would be functional storage…..and all would be well with the world!
But it didn’t fit!
I took the shoe molding off and it still wouldn’t slide in.

Wahhhhhhhhhhh!

So my thoughts…..
I was either going to :
#1 have to build some kind of storage units on each side of fireplace = monies spent
#2 Try to find something on Craigslist = monies spent
#3 Make it work because I knew…..if I was able to get it back there that it would stay there forever. FOREVER AND EVER SOLUTION=no monies spent!
So…..this is where I just decided to take matters in my own hands like a real DIY’er would.
You heard me.
Not a wanna’ be……Not a NON DIY’er….but a REAL DIY’ER….
And here is where I’m embarrassed at what your reactions will be.……
for real
Why?
Because I had to make adjustments and it’s a beautiful piece and I don’t like to ruin stuff..
But note these important facts:
It wasn’t a heritage piece. It wasn’t going to be used otherwise…….so…..I……..well, I…….
Borrowed “baby brother brats” tools. I’m not at the point where I have my own DIY tools yet…..
And…..made…. it….fit.
I know that seems awful!
 AND I DID – IT – MYSELF!
Neither my hubby nor baby brother would do it…..they said they were not going to take the consequences if I regretted it…..
Dang….maybe I DO need hormonal pills.
So…I did it myself…..and it fit like a glove.
And you CANNOT tell I “adjusted” it to “fit”…….
And the best part……
I now have matching pieces on each side of the fireplace!

There is room to walk around the table. Slide your chair back……

I don’t have to worry about sitting people in polyester or other flammable fabrics, by the fire…
You know the usual worry that hostesses have……
Because I was even able to slide it a bit farther from the fireplace.
And I solemnly swear, that this table will sit there until the day I die.
So, I didn’t ruin a piece if it’s going to stay there forever……
Right?
Does it make me a DIY’er?
I like it…..I really do.
I think I love it.
Now……here is where I would like your opinion.
After you get over the fact of what I did to my end table………
Please get over it…..I need you all.
I’m a newbie.
My question at this stage of transition.
Does my dining room rug, make my table look fat”?
You know……Sorta’ like when I wear my fat jeans.
Everyone will ask me if I have lost weight……
So, I wear them every day and never wash them because then I look even skinner…
Well….
I was thinking, maybe if I found a bigger rug….the table wouldn’t look so big.
It just barely fits on the rug….the chairs slide back on the floor.
I am wondering if that wouldn’t help add a larger feel?
What do you think? Larger rug = skinny table?
Adjusting my end table in my own kind of way = DIY’er?
Let me know. I appreciate your thoughts and feedback!

I am linking to:
Furniture Feature Fridays

IhookedupwithHoHlamespice

Weekend Bloggy Reading

The Lettered Cottage

Furniture Feature Fridays

Funky Junk Interiors

0 thoughts on “I’m almost afraid to show you……

• February 18, 2011 at 1:48 pm

OMG…after my laughter at your post, i thought that was a good idea. Can’t even tell. and as my former quilting teacher told me, if you galloping on a horse and riding by you wouldn’t even notice.

Also I think a bigger rug or a smaller table, take out a leaf?

Cherie

• February 18, 2011 at 2:47 pm

I think DIY’er = yes! Love what you did to the end table. Plus I don’t know why we all feel like we’re doing something sacreligious when we paint or cut wood pieces of furniture. I mean, it’s just an object. It’s not like there’s not plenty more left on earth.

I think rug = yes, bigger rug, or no rug. No rug would be free so maybe give that a try first.

• February 18, 2011 at 5:28 pm

I am in the doctors waiting room and LOL so loud @ “does this rug make my table look fat?” cracks me up!! DIYer= yes. Bigger rug= yes…. Thanks for the laugh!

• February 18, 2011 at 6:00 pm

Cherie, I love your support! Bigger rug is my thought too. Believe it or not, the leaf is already out! Hmmmmmmm

• February 18, 2011 at 6:01 pm

Mrs. Means, Yay! DIY’er! Two for bigger rug! Love your idea about NO rug….duh? Ummmm shouldn’t I have thought of that? Did it for awhile but once I got the rug, it was out of my mind. Will you please come raise my children, run my house, be a wife to my spouse….I am apparently unfit! I will see what that looks like!

• February 18, 2011 at 6:03 pm

Kelli, Yay again! Yay on DIY vote! That’s two…..plus I know my mom will always support that as well ; ) That would make three! Another bigger rug! I must get busy on Craigslist! Thanks!

• February 18, 2011 at 6:53 pm

You go girl! Where there’s a will there’s a way and you solved the problem. It looks great.

• February 18, 2011 at 7:22 pm

Hey ME, I’m totally fine with cutting the table.
    Yes the rug is too small.
    Your chairs should still be on the rug when you pull the chairs to sit.
    Visually it will make everything in the room look in scale.
    Check Home Goods, Marshals, Ross maybe Craig’s list.
    I got a 8×10 rug at Ross for $79.00.
    It has a pattern so close to a Pottery Barn rug. Good luck. Becky

• February 18, 2011 at 8:57 pm

I had to get up and go pee because I was laughing so hard. You are an absolute RIOT…I just love you.
    Your end table looks MAGNIFICENT there. If I had thought of it, I would have done the same exact thing.
    Here you are…
    1. More room for the people in pollyester..
    2. Matching sides on the fireplace…
    3. NO MONEY SPENT..!!

Now, I have a suggestion. I can just see 3 shelves on either side of the fireplace, above the matching tables. Make them as long as possible..they don’t have to be the same on ea side. If they run from the walls to the edge of the fireplace on each side, held up with LARGE corbels, the difference in size won’t show so much and it really won’t matter. You could put all kind of things on your shelves and you would get your “built-in look” for not much money at all.
    Gosh, I am getting excited and it’s not even MY room. :)))
    Blogging is sooo much fun…ain’t life grand!!
    xo bj
    Did I tell you I am following and also subscribing to you? :))

• February 18, 2011 at 8:59 pm

ooo, AN I would get a much larger rug…
    and, yes, I know POLYESTER is spelled wrong..:)

• February 18, 2011 at 10:13 pm

DIY = YES Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do!! It looks really great, you should be really pleased. Both on the look and the way you fixed it to work!! Yes to the bigger rug too. If you take out the rug it will be too much wood. Wood table, wood chairs, wood floor all the same color. Paint the table and chairs leave the floor wood color no monies spent.

• February 19, 2011 at 12:17 am

Connie, Thanks for the encouragement!

Becky! What a deal! Thanks for sharing!

BJ, You crack me up! Love your shelf idea!

Sensible Redisign, I LOVE the idea about painting the table….hmmmmmmm……….you are right, too much wood!

• February 19, 2011 at 3:13 am

okay, i haven’t read through your other comments so this may be redundant. First, awesome that you got thrifty and found a way to make a piece you have work. i think that makes you a diy’er! for sure! 🙂 the rug. . . my opinion. . .yes, bigger and with less loft, something lighter. like a dash and albert type of woven cotten. all the furniture is so heavy in there that a lighter weight rug might help balance that out. and also, don’t know how you feel about painted furniture but i’d paint that table in a heartbeat. with the hardwoods and the other wood furniture a painted piece would add also help to bring in some balance.
    love your tenacity!

• February 19, 2011 at 5:23 am

Stacy…yay on DIY’er! But dang…….dash and albert type of woven cotton? You are good girl! I’m going to have to google that…I don’t even know what you are talking about….I have a LONG way to go! ; ) You are right….room is heavy and I feel like it looks medieval. I think painting is going to be in my future! Eeeeek!

• February 19, 2011 at 1:21 pm

Great DIY! I love it.. you are funny… I’m following you now… who knows what you’ll saw in half next week? Can’t wait to see!
    O.k.
    Larger rug for sure… wider shelves over the tables on either side of the fire place…
    Keep those creative hormonal thoughts going!
    Deb

• February 19, 2011 at 4:23 pm

Oh my you make me laugh. It is rare to find a blog that you not only like what they do, but enjoy reading what they did. Usually I just skim the photos and catch words here and there because I don’t have a ton of time to blog surf. I am compelled to hang on your every word. You are so funny and honest. I don’t do many blog post features, but I would love to tell the world about you. Do you mind?

• February 19, 2011 at 6:35 pm

Deborah, Like your ideas on shelves….I’m having to grasp that thought! Hormones are running so hopefully the thoughts will stay as well ; )

Tracy, You can share anytime! I will check your blog out as well. Thanks, Love, Me

• February 19, 2011 at 6:48 pm

Hi there DIY girl, I knew following your blog would be a hoot since I read the first one! You do not disappoint!
    I was looking at today’s sale on “One Kings Lane”, there is an item in Jane Hallworth’s listing that might work between your windows now that you have adjusted & moved the table that was there!
    A Lovely, if a bit cracked, Italian marble topped, C. 1900 vintage (read rusty) iron table. The design of the lower legs just seemed to scream your name!! Here is the link!
    Hope the link works!
    OK, I was funning you, I confess!!
    Sorry, I just couldn’t resist, I’m still chucklin over that first blog of yours I read so you just instantly popped into my head when I saw this! Hope you won’t be offended.
    I’m afraid the “h” word will be indelibly linked with your name in my mind! LOL
    The tables look fine as you have them.
    I agree with wider shelves, maybe asymmetrically hung?
    I would try no rug or maybe angle the rug so it just runs from one back corner to under the front leg of opposite corner. If that makes sense……
    it would visually break up somewhat that rectangular look. Maybe……..
    (you can tell I haven’t got much self confidence)
    Looking forward to more from you! Love the way your mind works………
    Take care, trudy

Take care, trudy

• February 19, 2011 at 7:17 pm

Another thought……..do you have any light solid color fabric on hand you could use to either cover or slipcover the chair’s dark green? If you had something textured maybe a table runner/vignette base to lighten up the look? Doesn’t have to “match” just same color family…….just a thought!
    Take care, trudy

• February 19, 2011 at 8:07 pm

AWESOME ! Grab that saw and start choppin’!!!! Makes me wanna drive my SUV through the front of the house to put that addition on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, here’s an idea: (disclaimer: I know nothin’)
    Remove the rug altogether. I have found (for me) that the more space I can see the better I feel about my surroundings. Our home is most likely smaller than yours. (just a feeling) In the summer it won’t matter because you will want the house cooler any way and in the winter you have THE MOST GORGEOUS FIREPLACE LITTLE WOMEN ALL OVER IT to keep everyone cozy! You can always try it out to see what it “feels” like for you.

That’s my 2bits!

Glad you enjoy my blogs! I’m loving YOURS!!!!!!!!!!! As far as making clothes for that other body type: one word: SCISSORS!

Have a great weekEND!

~Kolein

• February 21, 2011 at 1:29 pm

Trudy, you are TOO cute! You are right and the “h” post will stick with me ; ) but I’m glad it brought YOU this way….so all good! Think no rug is winning. Just got back, so going to try that today.

Kolein, SUV to put addition on, made me LOL. I get the hint. That was awful to do that…I KNOW! As for scissors……..come on….don’t ya feel the love for us shorties? : ) Thanks for stopping by!

• February 24, 2011 at 8:23 pm

I love your dining room. I don’t think your table looks fat. I do think you a bigger rug would work to protect those gorgeous floors. I am afraid that if you remove the rug all together you will scrape those floors as the chairs get moved in and out. I am living proof that on wood floors. My computer chair eventually rubbed the poly right off the floor. Ding, ding Deb should have put something on the chair legs to protect the floor lol. Woops. Now the chairs sit on a rug 🙂

I love your blog. You are a funny girl.
    New follower for sure.

Deb

• February 24, 2011 at 10:40 pm

I really admire your ability to make this work for you. What a lovely transformation.

• February 25, 2011 at 5:44 pm

You are a DIYer and a smart one! I laughed out loud at your table solution and your question about the rug making the table look fat! I agree with the bigger rug suggestion, it will look better and protect your floor. Your dining room even now looks awesome, you clever woman.

• February 26, 2011 at 2:41 am

You rock!! Seriously way to go making that fit and your commentary is hilarious. We have a huge table in our dining room too. Lots of kids, not a lot of square footage. I think the “rule” is that you are supposed to have enough space on the rug to move the chairs in and out but I’m not one for following all the “rules”. I think the rug is fine. I didn’t have enough space to move my chairs back in my dining room so we have no rug.

• February 26, 2011 at 4:47 pm

I love the fireplace in the dining room. Yes, larger rug or remove it.

• February 26, 2011 at 10:54 pm

You did a DIY project!! Yay for you. 🙂 I think you did a great job with it. I think you got over a fear a lot of people (myself included!) have at one point or another…”I might ruin it.” BUT, you made the piece work for you and your needs instead of working around it. Great work. 🙂

Try moving the rug out for a week and see how you feel about it. 🙂 Thanks for sharing!

• February 27, 2011 at 3:01 am

Like all of the other readers have said, I got a good chuckle out of this post. You did what you had to do. Great job!

As for the rug, if it was my room, I would just remove the rug altogether. It would open up the room a lot.