One mans trash…..

Turned into my treasure!

We went junkin’ Saturday and I found some goodies I thought I would share.

I spent less than $25.00 and it was so much fun to find fun new to me goodies.

For instance………I found this sweet little lamp for my kitchen.

I am trying my hardest to find a comparison lamp online that isn’t out of this world expensive but I am having a hard time doing so.

I have wanted a lamp like this for some time but they are “too far” out of my budget.

So this was a fun find !

Here s the ONLY comparison I could find that wasn’t super expensive……

List Price: $129.90 Our Price: $96.00

Their price $96.00…..Mine $3.00!!!

Item #2

This is a metal, painted, ocean themed piece of art. It has panes that are like a window…..and I canNOT find anything really similar to compare it with!

Love the size of it!

I used to have a wooden sign here that had it’s last year last year and just literally fell apart this spring, so this was a fun “fresh” change for our gates.

Look how well it matches our fencing!

Yippeeeeeee!

Really cool part?

I got two!

For five dollars!!!

She had been asking ten…….I asked if she would take five.

The lady literally followed me to my car telling me how expensive they were……

Ummmmm…..thank you?

I squealed my tires and got outta there before she changed her mind.

Ok….I didn’t squeal my tires but I couldn’t figure out the separation anxiety thing and really felt bad.

Ok….I didn’t.

I know…

I’m awful.

I didn’t want to give her time to change her mind. ; )

Item #3

I couldn’t find the exact same one at Pottery Barn….but here is one on sale…..

Lucia Embossed Ceramic Serving Platter

Lucia Embossed Ceramic Serving Platter

Regular $49.00 special $39.00
Theirs $39.00…..Mine $2.00 after I pried it out of the little old ladies fingers that wanted $4.00.
Did she think this was the mall??? $4.00??? Dang…..no way!
She finally relented when I laid on her driveway and said I wasn’t leaving unless I got it for $2.00.
Great method of getting the price you are asking…try it sometime!

#4,5,6,7,8……

Look at those little cast iron hooks……

I know…..I paid tooooooooo much.

But the other items were 10 cents a piece, so I coughed up the George Washington. About killed me.

Just a few odds and ends……

(for my nephew…too cute)

(by the pool…..can hold hair bands….jewlery etc)

(turtle plaque)

(am going to paint this white and distress)

This was my doofus buy…….I thought it was an oil lamp…..it’s a fragrance diffuser?

I had plans of painting it black and using it outside with citronella oil.

Unless I can somehow rig this into an oil lamp, it will make it’s way into my own giveaways : )

Anyone know if I can?

Do any of you guys enjoy junkin’.

Thrifting?

Yard selling?

Are you embarrassed by it?

Do you ask for lower prices?

I am very respectful but if I do feel that it is a high price I will ask for a lower price……

Do you?

Would love to hear about it!

ps.
I’m linking up to:

0 thoughts on “One mans trash…..

• May 17, 2011 at 12:54 pm

I do!  I absolutely love it.  I will ask for lower price sometimes, but not often.  My pet peeve is sales who don’t price anything.  I guess they expect you to go around and ask them how much every single thing you’re interested in is.  I typically don’t buy anything at sales where things aren’t priced.  My little form of boycotting.  hehe.  I don’t mind digging something out of someone’s garbage too.  I just posted a few days ago about my husband bringing home a Radio Flyer Wagon out of someone’s trash.

• May 17, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Kelly we don’t need to get together on Saturdays! ; ) Please let everyone know the name of your blog so we can visit it. I clicked on your name but it isn’t telling me anything. Would love to follow along and hear of your “dumpster diving”! Love, Me

• May 17, 2011 at 1:12 pm

I love how you look up comparisons and post those too! I have 1 friend who hates posting things she got and their price cuz it makes her feel like she is cheap…lol! That’s the point! Came from coastal charm link party! Thanks for the great sharing!

• May 17, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Great finds and prices too! I sometimes suggest a lower price but I’m always respectful. I agree with Kelly that it is hard at sales where nothing is priced, especially when it is busy and hard to get the attention of the seller.

• May 17, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Yes, yes, yes!!! I LOVE it all, especially yard sales!!! And yes, at yard sales, I always ask if the seller could do better or I will offer a lower price. I don’t negotiate at thrift stores because they are usually raising money for a charity and I want the money to help.It’s always like a treasure hunt! I usually don’t even know what I will do with my purchases until I get them home. What a great way to spend the day!

• May 20, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Yes, you have a beautiful home and have found some wonderful treasures for great prices.But, then the original prices were good prices before you “negotiated” them down. What concerns me is what if these people are selling due to medical bills, or unemployment. I would have a hard time living with that knowledge since I am seeing so much of that around my area right. Elderly selling their hard earned belongings just to pay for medicine and families selling furniture just to keep their house. Just saying…

• May 20, 2011 at 2:30 pm

@5713d6732bc2a0bbcefde546764c2e66  You are very right…..there are times I do NOT negotiate for that exact reason. You can tell, if you are truly wanting to see, if people are wanting to negotiate with you. I am afraid my sarcasm may have made it sound like that is not the case when I shop. I am one that slept on an air mattress because someone needed a bed and put my food in a cooler when someone needed the frig that I had bought to replace my broken one….so there are times when it is right and/or wrong. Thanks for stopping by and read into my blog a little more…..you will see how much of what I say is said in sarcasm. I love that you stopped by and I think you voiced a valid concern. Love, Me

• May 20, 2011 at 2:31 pm

@04bb6998a6f3be3ac07cfb9513d6c579:disqus  I agree with thrift stores and no negotiating. I only negotiate yard sales if I feel the price is higher than what I would price it……Love it! Love, Me

• May 20, 2011 at 2:32 pm

@41e539546b9a0bef1084afcb9391fe72  If they do not price their items I canNOT stand it! I hate to mention a lowball number if they were thinking way higher…….Thanks for coming by! Keep on checking in! Love, Me

• May 20, 2011 at 2:33 pm

@e6fa4d75535af585d2498e8174bdb35a:disqus  I have more comparisons in my post’s title’d side by side…..I think that may be something I keep on doing. Thank you for coming by…….you have got to check on my post…..”Would you have passed this up?”……..you will not believe the deal there. I just got lucky! Love, Me

• May 21, 2011 at 5:25 am

I caught your sarcasm 😀 found it very entertaining too! I love thrifting and flea markets – I don’t ask for breaks at charity shops and struggle with bargaining/haggling even when it’s expected. My sister and I were in NY at a well known flea market and one of the vendors scolded me for not doing it lol told me it was expected! At sales with no prices I will ask them for the price if I really like it and if it’s too high I just thank them and put it down. More times than not they offer a lower price. If I’m feeling brave I may say “is that your best price?” but otherwise I’m lame lol. You picked up some really nice things – good luck on that conversion with the defused!

• May 31, 2011 at 8:06 pm