Hydrangea Help 101

There once was a lady who bought a hydrangea.

It was BEAUTIFUL……..until it came home with her.

She re-potted it with Miracle Grow…….

One is still clinging to it’s life…..barely.

The other one looks even worse now and …..

Is PIT-I-FUL.

Does anyone have any hydrangea tips for this ummmmmm…….person……and I will forward them to her.

Can you imagine anyone letting her plants get that awful?

Let’s have pity on her….shall we?

Poor thing.

Would appreciate any “green thumber DIY’er’s googler gardeners” advice…..

For that pitiful, friend I know.

0 thoughts on “Hydrangea Help 101

• May 24, 2011 at 1:40 pm

OOO, would you tell you *friend* that I am sorry her flowers are looking pretty pitiful but that, given a little time, more Miracle Grow, and a sweet word or two here and there, she might be surprised how much better they will look. :)))

• May 24, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Your Hydrangea plant happens to be a flowering plant that needs high acid soil.  Miracle grow for Acid Loving Plants is the one you should be using.  Also, I’d plant your beautiful potted plant in the ground because Hydrangeas need root room to grow.  You’ll be amazed at how beautifully your plant will blossom.  They even change colors, depending on the acid content of the soil!

• May 24, 2011 at 9:10 pm

Tell your friend: Water, water, water & more water !! You (she, oops) might even set the pot in a pan of water for a few hours so the soil soaks up plenty then drain & pray. Hydrangeas are VERY thirsty plants and until yours recover I would give them only a little morning sun. Look for some water absorbent granules at any garden center, Lowes or HD, I know Lowes has them. They are near the top shelf with plant food and root-tone right outside the the garden center doors to the store, going in on your right, they were in a cellophane bag at our store. Mix in well with your soil according to instructions, more is not better, so that some are near the bottom too. These granules will swell three times (or five) their size when wet and then the roots can use the water as the soil dries. It helps, I use it in all my potted plants and the thirsty ones in the ground when I plant them. Once they perk up you can give them morning sun until about 11:00 AM here so about noon your time. Be sure you have drainage holes in the bottom of the container, at least one large or three or four smaller ones. For now though what they need is WATER. They should perk up and if they don’t tell her to take them back & get them replaced if she can. Good luck, I’ll be rooting (LOL) for those poor babies. Take care, VBg

• May 24, 2011 at 9:19 pm

PS Acid soil will give you blue flowers or you can sweeten the soil with some lime and get pink ones next year. You need a PH of about 6 to get pink flowers, a PH of about 5 should keep them blue. Just a side thought for much later…….take care, VBg

• May 24, 2011 at 10:16 pm

Well, if you have given them plenty to drink, then you may have them in an area that is too sunny. Plus, I see they are are in pots on brick, which usually radiates the heat. I have several hydrangeas growing in pots and they do very well, but some like a more shady area and some like a bit more sun.  The ones I have on my deck that get a lot of sun, I have umbrellas covering them and they do fine.  Just my 2 cents worth.

• May 25, 2011 at 1:03 pm

I’m not one to brag hahahaha but my hydrangeas under my deck are gorgeous.  But they are under the deck and away from the sun.  I also water them with acid loving miracle grow.  But like I said I am not one to brag  😉

• May 25, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Tell your, uhmmm, friend that she should prune off all the flowers. They take too much energy from the weak plant right now. Concentrate on saving the plant, and once that has happened, it will flower again. Miracle grow, water, shade and no flowers should get your -friend’s- hydrangea rignt back to it’s full glory in no time. Good luck!!!

• May 25, 2011 at 6:10 pm

@e01d2690873f3365ca42f26291bb0dbc  Cutting blooms off today. They are in a pretty shady area…..so keeping fingers crossed until I transplant “again” to a shadier, well watered spot in the yard. Thank you so much for your advice. Wondering if you have a beautiful garden at home? Love, ME

• May 25, 2011 at 6:11 pm

Joni, you know you are one to brag ; ) Would love to see them! Need to cut them and put them around house. Love them! Love, Me

• May 25, 2011 at 6:12 pm

Debby Kaufman  I think they were too parched. The healthier one was getting additional water from the sprinkler….the thirsty one…..didn’t ge tany. I am going to water them more. Love, Me

• May 25, 2011 at 6:12 pm

@4f7fb178b85c26a869b581b3a241d813:disqus I have GOT to get the acid soil thing…..would love to see photos of yours! Love, Me

• May 25, 2011 at 6:13 pm

@4f7fb178b85c26a869b581b3a241d813:disqus  Am going to talk to her real soon….for real….I’m not joking….. I am copying your instructions to my phone now to go to Lowes and get the acid soil. Love, Me

• May 25, 2011 at 6:13 pm

@7ee95d4fa44a054b26d8420d869f59b9  I consider myself the google queen…..you just dethroned me…..this site was perfect! Love, me

• May 25, 2011 at 6:14 pm

@29ceffbbcd3d9710fda09cb9d659e7b3:disqus  I am hearing that acid probably was my problem! I wondered about the room to grow when I saw how big some other plants were…think they will be moving soon! Love, me

• May 25, 2011 at 6:15 pm

@864062ba487291d6ffa6c778d76a30e5  I will give her your message and also tell her to take back all the bad things she said to them when she saw them wilting on her the other day. She is awful! Love, me

• October 21, 2012 at 3:44 am

help, I am failing with my hydrangeas. The pink flower is slowing turn blue and the blue flower is turning green( two different plants)
    I planted them in pots and get watered every second day with a watering system. I purchased hydrangea blueing and pinking to try to fix the problem. I have added sulphur to the blue and line to the pink but the Ph stayers around 6.
    I am in Brisbane Australia