One of my favorites

This may end up being one of my favorite projects…..

It was also one of my easiest.

Which is why it is probably one of my favorites.

Doesn’t take me long…..does it?

Got this table for Freebirds apartment.

Which we finally found by the way……hallelujah.

It was butt ugly.

That comment will freak my hubby out.

He doesn’t like me to talk like that.

So, let’s call it …… bu-gly.

Get it?

That will be our code.

It was bu-gly.

But cheap…..

I actually wish it would have been cheaper and I almost didn’t get it….

But I was envisioning the end result.

My goodies I used.

And of course my handy dandy spray paint nozzle thing.

NO PICTURE….sorry….you’ve seen it a million times.

First step….wiped it clean.

Then I used the Valspar primer….a 1/2 of a can.

My thoughts on that.

One…it was such cheap particle board I knew nothing was going to stick.

Two…..I wanted to try the spray primer.

I don’t like the red for myself…..Freebird loved it coming through a bit. Next time I would put a light coat of what color I want to peep through over the primer.

I wasn’t too worried about the middle of the table and I will show you why in a minute.

I taped off the edges….and did a light distressing all over the rest of the table BUT not the center.

Don’t be scared.

It’s chalkboard paint.

Painted the fake drawer handle nickle…..because that is what I had.

I would rather a bronze color with the other colors I have going on here….but the name of the game right now is using what we have and not getting more.

So, before……

Bugly……

And after.

De-LISH!

How cute did it turn out???

She LOVED it.

How much fun to leave messages for her roommate.

I know this will be the main one.

Please Lord!

This project probably took all of thirty minutes.

I have to say that having primer under the spray paint was awesome.

I guess I should have been reading some of those tutorials out there!

It made the project go so quickly.

The 747 degree weather may have had something to do with the quick drying paint though as well.

Favorite project but just so you know…….

Her leaving…… and getting an apartment……WITH A TWELVE MONTH LEASE……..

Is going to kill me.

Have you all tried chalkboard paint?

I know…… I am like the last one on the chalkboard train with this project……..and I did consider dry erase but chalkboard looked better with this style…..to me.

I couldn’t see me using a chalkboard coffee table in my home at this stage of life but do you think you would use this for a child’s room or college age child’s room?

Whatcha’ think?
If you are here from a linky party…..hey! Check out my newer post. We have been having some fun! The most popular post are on the right of this page….you could start there. Like us on Facebook and follow along. Would love to hear from you and can’t wait to meet you!

ps. I’m linking up to:
Tip Junkie handmade projects

25 thoughts on “One of my favorites

• May 26, 2011 at 10:21 pm

I love this! I may have to copy!

• May 27, 2011 at 2:20 am

Rebecca,  I love it!  I swear I think you are only months away from your own tv show.   It is going to be so much fun when you invite me to be on it! haha

Love, Joni

• May 27, 2011 at 4:32 am

Cool coffee table redo.  Love the chalkboard top.  Very well done…

• May 27, 2011 at 12:07 pm

This turned out great! Love the color!

• May 27, 2011 at 3:53 pm

THIS is adorable. You did an awesome job on it…:))

• May 27, 2011 at 4:51 pm

I just love that table.  You are getting so good at all this repainting furniture :)  I am being inspired by you.

• May 27, 2011 at 5:04 pm

It is amazing that you saw the potential in that BUGLY table and made it into an adorable and useful piece of furniture for Freebird’s first apartment!! I know she will enjoy it and it will certainly be the conversation piece in her living area! Unless you maybe have something else up your sleeve? Great job!! Take care, VBg

• May 27, 2011 at 5:53 pm

Love IT! I still haven’t used chalk board paint because I don’t know why 🙂 Now they just need something to keep the chalk in!! My husband and his twin made a dry erase bar thing in college and they LOVED it.

• May 27, 2011 at 10:52 pm

Cute, cute!

• May 29, 2011 at 3:52 am

Love it! And just so you know, you aren’t the last one to try chalkboard paint because I haven’t either so that prize belongs to me my friend! 🙂 And, I’m loving your message to her…maybe every time you visit you could leave some more little messages like…”don’t talk to strangers”….”eat your vegetables”….”call your mother”….you know really subtle things like that. LOL! I think you did a great job and she is one blessed girl to have a handy mama like you! 🙂
    Thanks for linking up to Inspiration Friday this week~
    Vanessa

• May 30, 2011 at 12:37 am

This coffee table is a great idea. Better than side tables because of how a coffee table is used. ie: without lamps, etc. My daughter has moved out and I have been working on furniture projects for her apartment too. This is an idea that I may have to use. Thanks.

• May 30, 2011 at 1:39 am

@3ee18d137fa391e200a20a85f1c19547  Ok Vanessa….I will take runner up on chalkboard paint. Time to dust your can off and put yours to use girly. Let me know what you decide to do! Thank you for hosting such a great linky party! Love, Me

• May 30, 2011 at 1:40 am

@44e931b27924716c99a5d169aafe76ef  I thought it would be neat on a kitchen table too for a single girl kind of thing ; ) If you use it….tell me about it. I want to know! Thanks for stopping by but don’t make yourself a stranger! Love, Me

• May 30, 2011 at 1:42 am

@66d2e71e45db6d37146e867e16da8469:disqus  Have a little basket I am going to paint that will perfect for her chalk ; ) Girl….get on the chalkboard train. You and I will be the last and it’s already left the station! Love, Me

• May 30, 2011 at 1:42 am

Not amazing….I am just cheap and knew I could make it into something ; ) I will hopefully come up with something else fun! Love, Me

• May 30, 2011 at 1:45 am

Joni, tell Denny to buy a tv station and give me a job ; ) Then I may have a chance at getting on TV. Love, Me

• June 7, 2011 at 3:02 am

The coffee table is simply adorable! Love the added chalkboard – too cute! Thanks so much for linking to the Sunday Showcase – I greatly appreciate it. I have featured this on Sunday – I am a little behind getting to the comments though. Have a wonderful week ~ Stephanie Lynn

• February 19, 2012 at 10:14 pm

This is an absolutely amazing idea!! I adore it! If only we had chalk board paint in stores here.. :/
    But the lil white table looks just perfect.. you did well in seeing potential in it.. I cannot believe you can get something like that for 10$..

Comments are closed.