Craigslist 101

(If you are coming here from a linky party….Welcome! There is now a 201 and 301 of Craigslist secrets. Check them out!

My project that I teased you with yesterday……..

It is still not ready.

I know….I’m a loser!

AND

I’m going out of town so I can’t finish it…….

I’m a dork!

AND

I AM SO CLOSE, IT IS KILLING ME!!!!!

I’m a sad, dorky, loser……

Have pity on me people.

But

Here is another little teaser….

Think you know what it is?

I guess you will have to wait until this weekend to find out ….

It is turning out so pretty that I don’t want you to see it until it is totally done.

Someone even came over last night and offered to buy it….

For real!

I’m not selling it.

But it made me feel good.

What if you hate it?

I hope you don’t.

But anyways……I’m going somewhere with this post, promise.

This project originated from another awesome deal on Craigslist.

AND

The other day Celia commented this on my “Rug Love” Post……

I LOVE the rug!!
Is there a secret to finding things on Craigslist? I haven’t had much luck the couple of times I tried it…maybe you could show us the way????

Hugs,
Celia

She hugged me= She loves me! BFFS!

But she is not the only one asking me.

Even here on the home front….family and friends call and ask me to help them find a deal.

So I am selling “How to shop on Craigslist “, E-Books for $9.95 to the first 1000 buyers!

WOOHOO!

Ok….I’m fibbing.

Can you imagine?

For the next couple of days….along with my normal run of the mouth stuff…..I’m going to throw in some Craigslist tips.

Aren’t you so excited!

Hello?????

Anyone????

Don’t be scared….I will throw in normal stuff as well if you are already a Craigslist expert.

But  there must be a few basic things that most people…..who aren’t in the habit of looking for a good deal……need to know.

So here goes Craigslist 101 part 1.

First off………

I’m not anything special people.

These deals are out there for every one of you.

I promise.

I bet…..if you gave me your location and what you are “looking” for…..I would find it….and at a deal.

Maybe not immediately but I would find it.

There are reasons that I can find stuff but this is the most important thing to know…….

YOU HAVE TO BE PERSISTENT AT YOUR SEARCH.

YOU HAVE TO BE CONTENT AT WAITING FOR THE RIGHT DEAL.

I have been looking for a rug for a couple of months….IT DIDN’T HAPPEN IMMEDIATELY WHEN I THOUGHT I WANTED IT……I was content waiting for the right deal.

I have friends that would not want to have “naked” windows…..or a snag in their carpet while they wait and that is fine if that is what they are comfortable with.

I don’t mind waiting for the “right” item at the budget I need.

If this is not your thing…….then Craigslist really may not work for you.

If you don’t mind waiting……I promise…..IT PAYS OFF!

I end up getting items that I never would have been able to normally afford at steals of deals……

So I am going to give  few shortcuts in the next few days on how to quickly scan CL for some deals and steal….

If you are a local……DO NOT READ THIS POST.

You will take my deals!

; )

I’m just teasing…..

Sorta’.

Tip One

This little section on Craigslist is what is on the top left of the page when you pull up your area.
It has a box surrounding it………..

search craigslist

I used to skip this part and move directly to the furniture tabs etc. but I found this little box became very valuable.

Alot of people list under different sections…..for instance a rug could be under household, furniture or general and sometimes even antiques.

So let’s use a rug for an example……

So……..in that search box…..type rug.

Anywhere it is posted, in any category…..it will come up.

~Crowd Roars With Applause~

Ok…….ya’ll knew that one didn’t you?

Alright……let’s keep sticking with a “rug”……..

Guess what?

Some people may call it a carpet?

What if it is an outdoor rug? Some people would call that an outdoor carpet…..

So think about variations of what you are searching for.

Tip Number Two:

Say you click on the furniture tab…..

Go ahead…..open another window on your computer and do it…….

Did you know that along the top of Craigslist is this “toolbar” or image on the right corner?

hide images ] [ show images ] [ help ] [ post ]

That hide images button is important…….mine says “hide” because that is the option that was available because I don’t search Craigslist in that mode.

It originally showed this

show images ] [ help ] [ post ]

I click on show images….and next to every Craigslist ad that submitted with photos will be a small picture……..

Just helps me scan a little quicker.

BUGLY shows up and you know it isn’t for you.

Remember our code word….BUGLY, right?

So……..that is it for today. I don’t want your eyes to roll back in your head.

And as for my project…… I have one more hint.

You’ve figured it out, haven’t you?

Maybe I’m throwing you off ; )

Maybe I’m not…….

Well, let me know what you think about our first “simple” start to Craigslist.

Are you a Craigslist confuscious?

Does this bore you?

Let me know what you think.

Guess away on my project…..my next one………EWWWW WEEEEE…..it is really gonna’ be neat too!

0 thoughts on “Craigslist 101

• June 7, 2011 at 1:13 pm

Thanks for the tips!
    I always search with photos. Dont feel like wasting my time on something I can’t see.
    I feel as though I am stalking you being the first to comment on your posts. Really, I am not… ok maybe a bit. This is the time of day that I read my blogs. I promise I am not stalking you too much 😉  P.S. Did you make it over to my lonely Facebook page?

• June 7, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Cherie Morris Sisk Ok….I went to your facebook….how do I like you? I’m sorry! I am so Facebook doofus headed! Help me! Love, Me

• June 7, 2011 at 2:33 pm

You are a tease. I thought I knew what it was until that last picture. I love craigslist! I didn’t used to search with the pictures because I didn’t know you could! So I think its a great tip because well many of us don’t know you can 🙂 I am crazy though and I search with the search words and then I look through them all too (only when I am desperate to find something)

• June 7, 2011 at 4:18 pm

So maybe I’m the only one that never noticed the show photos button but thank you for pointing that out.  I love to look on CL but I definitely can use some help.  Love your projects.  Can’t wait to see the finish on this one.

• June 7, 2011 at 4:19 pm

Thank you so much, sweet Rebecca!!! I LOVE the tips already! I am a very patient purchaser since most of the items I have in my home are from yard sales and you have kiss a lot of frogs before your prince of a deal pops up at a yard sale. I am so excited about exploring another way to treasure hunt.
    Bless you for your quick response and your lovely blog!!
    I have no idea what your project is, but I love the color….
    Your newest BFFS….
    Celia

• June 7, 2011 at 5:17 pm

Hi Me, I’ve purchased a dining room set (it is still sitting waiting to be “Mustardized”) and sold a Fisher Price Pirate Ship on Craigslist. But, I didn’t know about the tips you shared! Thank you! I too cannot negotiate Facebook, I’m going to have my teenage son help me out though 🙂 Hugs to you from me too!

• June 7, 2011 at 5:23 pm

Hi Again Me, Do you know if there’s a button somewhere on Craigslist that you can hit when you come across Bugly items so it disappears? Sometimes I get so distracted and overwhelmed by “Bugly” listings that I give up and probably miss the great stuff!

• June 7, 2011 at 9:29 pm

Hi there Miss Ketchup Seed! Ok ketchup sounds doofus but you are definitely moving in on your competition! Your furniture finds are fabulous and your refinishing gets better all the time!! I’m jealous! Not only can’t find deals, (I discovered the CL picture thing a few weeks ago), but your refinishing and great ideas are making me green with envy!! I have never used the search option but I will try it next time. I have the expanded version of CL that supposedly sends agents to find what you want even when you’re not in CL, sends an email or something when they find it, haven’t tried it cause I don’t really understand it! Figures right?? I don’t Facebook either, tried it but too complicated for me! Hope you are going somewhere fun! Have a great time! Your tease looks like a bench with a woven seat to me….I’m sure I’ll laugh when you reveal it ’cause I’m so far off! Take care, VBg

• June 7, 2011 at 9:36 pm

I’m thrilled to death to get these tips. All you girls out there finding AWESOMES and I have found A BIG FAT O…:)

• June 8, 2011 at 10:59 pm

one more tip – which I discovered on ebay — Bad spellers — so if they listed their carpet as a carpat — or carpt — or curpet… it will not show up in the usual listings and thus be there for you to discover all on your lonesome and be the only bidder. (ebay) But you do have to invent the poor spelling and search that. (how badly do you want it? how much time do you have?)
    Not sure if it’s effective on CL – but might be worth a try for commonly misspelled words – not carpet but maybe bureau / or china cabinet…
    and for me – What is BUGLY?

• June 9, 2011 at 2:32 am

@104ab4dc941a319065cd4ea4702d621b I LOVE this tip….I found this out when I used to work ebay like crazy…..great tip ;  ) I will make sure to mention it. Love, Me