Table re-do part 2

Ok….we are going to just tackle this in two tutorials.

If you want more details on any specific part….please let me know in the comments.

Simple and sweet is name of the game.

Painting…distressing and waxing.

Ready?

This pic is of the table on the left completed and chair on the right only painted…..not distressed yet.

I want you to see how it really changes the look once it is distressed.

If you want bright white…..beautifully painted……you can skip the distressing part.

I LOVE DISTRESSING.

Why?

Because it hides imperfections and really let’s my family “live” with the piece.

We don’t wear flip flops all the time.

Snake boots….tennis shoes…….they are in our daily wardrobe.

So, I need pieces that can take a licking…..

But keep on ticking ; )

That’s why I love distressing.

Amen.

Now….
See these three chairs?

They are in three different stages.

One on left…..only painted.

Middle….distressed and stained….

Right…..Final stage.

IMPORTANT NOTE:

The middle stage….freaks me out every time.

It gets dirty looking…..smeary…..yucky….

But you may like, dirty, smeary and yucky.

I mean….it’s all good.

But…..I accidentally did the final step and it leaves my pieces the way I really like them.

Let me explain.

That would help wouldn’t it?

Materials:
~Husbands old t-shirts…..(good way to get him to part with yellowed old undershirts) I cut mine into four pieces.

~Minwax finishing paste…(you may have a favorite)

~Stain

~Sandpaper

First step

Actually, this is the second step. I’m assuming you have painted your piece and let it dry.
No one seems to be asking about how to paint.
Just paint it up good.
I use two coats. I also had some details that were hard to get a brush into without creating runs…so I used a foam brush in those areas.
So, paint…then dry.

Now…..getting to the good stuff!

Distress your piece with sanding.

This is the easiest part.

Take that handy dandy neighbors wrinkled, stubby hand that you like to use in your photos….and sand away…..

I love to distress….did I tell you that?

Go along the edges where you see boots taking hunks out of a piece.

Scuff up any carvings…etchings….or details….scuff ’em up good.

Like a good back scratch, I tell ya’.

Then…..take that damp rag…..and wipe clean.

This is a quick step.

You will see soon little ones….. that this is one of the easiest.

That’s why I like it.

Painting takes a bit…and the next step takes a bit….but sand/distressing…..quick.

Make sure dry from your damp rag clean up and then you are ready for the next step.

Step TWO

Take a sponge brush and apply stain over paint in sections.

I used this picture from my coffee table re-do……because starting out…..use smaller sections than in this picture…especially on detailed sections.

AND

Especially if hot outside and drying quickly.

Apply stain and take your t-shirt or soft rags and wipe off……..

This was sort of a panicky step for me starting out.

It all of a sudden started looking weird.

The distressed parts were too dark and I started freaking out.

Don’t freak out.

There’s a neat fix…that worked for me anyways.

So……apply your stain.

IMPORTANT NOTE:

I do the next step on my painted stained pieces before my stain is dry…..it gives me the “look” I am trying to obtain.

There is probably a better, easier route….but until I learn it….here goes my next step.

STEP 3….APPLYING PASTE/WAX

I LIKE THIS STUFF!

I learned about it through a MMS tutorial and it really gives your furniture a “hardiness” and “finished showroom look”……

It also helped me in obtaining a softer distressed look without the stain being too dark.

This is what I mean.

Remember the three chairs?

The middle chairs has just your stain…wiped on and wiped off.

You may want that look…remember, I’m cool with that ; )

I didn’t.

So…….I was rushing my first project and NOT waiting for the stain to dry first before putting on paste and this happened.

See how the left is darker than the right?

It doesn’t take the piece back to your original stage…..remember the three chairs?

When I applied the paste….incorrectly on my first project….on my “just stained” piece and rubbed it on with a soft rag….

It gave me the look on the right……

Just a softer, distressed look that I liked.

So…..I rub it in this stage like a conditioner….and don’t leave it on to dry…..

It is ONE stage….

Take your t-shirt….get a little hunk of paste and rub it on your stained piece….

Rub it in circles….just in sections…..you will get your own way of application…and you will see how it transforms the piece.

It also adds that “showroom” finish and “hardiness” I was talking about.

I use this paste in two different ways.

The way I just showed you….

AND

On the top of my coffee table and dining room table….as a final step….

I apply like car wax…..

Let it dry….to a clear paste and buff it off.

I want water to bead on my piece, so I don’t have to worry about cup marks etc.

So, I use it to remove excess stain and as a final seal on top of piece.

Those steps…take you from the painted chair on the right….to the table on the left.

It brings out the details in the wood.

Don’t ya’ think?

Are you guys confused?

Can you follow the instructions?

Need more details?

Let me know.

Your wish is my command ; )

0 thoughts on “Table re-do part 2

• June 12, 2011 at 3:10 pm

My goodness…you put in almost as much work into this post as in doing the chairs.
    Very impressive!

• June 12, 2011 at 3:45 pm

I love your technique and the way your furniture is turning out.
    Thanks so much…

• June 12, 2011 at 10:36 pm

I have not seen the waxing done in quite that way but boy the result is sure fab looking! I like the way it softens the look, really looks like it is just time worn…..not painted and distressed. You’ve got the distressing part down pat, a lot of pieces I’ve seen look so deliberate and overdone, yours look more authentic. All in all you have done a super job on this furniture and the easy to follow tutorial! Give yourself a pat on the back if your arm isnt too tired from the sanding! Have a great evening, VBg

• June 12, 2011 at 11:26 pm

Those chairs and table are gorgeous. I don’t think I have seen anything prettier. I love the color also.

• June 13, 2011 at 12:33 am

Ok….help me with the chalkpaint because I have ready everyone’s post about it…….isn’t it sooooo expensive though? Or does it last? Am I too cheap?

Help!

Love, Me

• June 13, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Thanks for the tutorial. I am never sure how to do any of this stuff either!

• June 14, 2011 at 12:58 am

It goes a LOT farther/further? than regular paint……anyway it paints more stuff! Since you don’t have to prime, sand, stain you do save a bit of money there too. Not to mention time and energy. Just remember clear wax first then dark or the dark will stain your paint, (don’t ask how I know that please) never to be undone!! You can paint over it but what a waste of paint!! You could do your dining set, coffee table and several more pieces with one quart. Hope that helps, take care, VBg

• June 17, 2011 at 8:57 pm

I love your furniture and your technique…what color stain did you use I love it…

• June 18, 2011 at 11:35 pm

Yup! That’s my question too! I’ve already bought three wrong stain colors but yours is exactly what I’m looking for both the stain and the paint. Please share the colors so when I buy that fourth can it’ll be the right one and my husband will start letting me go back to Lowe’s unattended! Thanks!!!

• June 19, 2011 at 9:19 pm

I’m curious as to how you sand the detailing areas – I always seem to mess that part up!

• June 21, 2011 at 3:14 am

Beeeautiful job! You worked hard to get that result, but I think it was truly worth it!  Luv it!  Thanks for the great tutorial, too!  🙂

xoxo laurie

• June 26, 2011 at 5:51 pm

Help! Ok, so I followed (or so I thought) your instructions, yet I am not getting a dark enough distress look after I wipe off the paste wax…what am I doing wrong?

• June 26, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Jennie, Hey! I don’t have an email so I am hoping you will check back on your comment. Two things. One……if you look above at the three chairs….the middle one, the darker distressed looking chair, DID NOT have the paste on it. If you want darker…maybe you shouldn’t use the paste? Or…..did you distress heavily enough with sandpaper allowing the stain to have something to grab to? Are you using the same color stain? Lot’s of questions. Hope to help you out! Love, Me

• June 30, 2011 at 1:42 am

Thanks for your reply…I tried another piece and it worked better…(whew)  I fully understand (now) what you were referring to.  Thanks again!

• August 28, 2011 at 5:16 am

I liked this post so much, and the way your table turned out, that I just followed your instructions and did the same finish on the wood around my fireplace. It turned out great! Thanks for sharing how you got such a beautiful table and chairs!

• August 28, 2011 at 11:27 am

@facebook-1630212994:disqus  I would love to see photos of this! What would you rate this project on the hard scale of 1 to 10? Would love to know! Love, Me

• May 27, 2013 at 8:18 pm

Hi! I am using your post as a guide now that I have a large armoire I am wanting to repaint. My questions are…what stain color did you use? And can you use the stain distressing technique over a flat paint? Will it work, or is it better with a semi gloss?

Thank you! You are my inspiration!
    Lora

• August 27, 2013 at 10:21 pm

Great job — the chairs look beautiful. But, yes, I am confused — you lost me here, It gave me the look on the right……
    Just a softer, distressed look that I liked.
    So…..I rub it in this stage like a conditioner….and don’t leave it on to dry…..
    It is ONE stage….

Did the color in the section ever come out the way you wanted? It sounded like it was messed up. How about steps 1, 2, 3 and 4?

• September 4, 2013 at 8:24 am

Just purchased an old hutch off Craigslist and tried your technique…it worked beautifully!!! It was so easy, I can’t believe it. I, too, have hesitated to spend the money on Chalk Paint for fear it wouldn’t be an easy process. So glad I found your site. I used Lowe’s Valspar Paint &Primer in Quail Egg 7002-12. It gave me a great antique white color with no yellow. I used Walnut stain. I did panic a little when I brushed the stain on and tried to wipe it off. The wax is the trick! It really softens the stain tint and gives it the aged look. I did not do heavy distressing, just a little on the edges. I love my “new” hutch! Thanks so much for such great advice!

• September 23, 2013 at 10:36 am

I am referring to the table with the car wax applied as the final step. I was going to try chalk furniture and I have had a complaint from my sister that her daughter got mascara on her vanity that was chalk painted by a friend. I am very unsure about even trying the chalk paint procedure and really impressed by this one where you sealed it with car wax to give the richness of the piece a soft look. Thanks so much for this procedure and I am going to try it, looks very good..

• September 23, 2013 at 11:10 pm

Hello Suellen! I want to make sure you understand that I am NOT using car wax on my furniture! LOL! I just apply it like you would car wax. Rub it on…..let it dry and buff it off. I use Minwax Paste wax. Good luck! XO!

• January 20, 2014 at 10:55 pm

Hi… love your work!!! Please let me know the paint type/color and stain color. Also, do you wax before stain or stain directly onto the paint?

• January 21, 2014 at 4:29 pm