Roman Shades

Ok, I have put this off long enough.

I know it.

Remember this little beauty?

All of that gorgeous fabric has been waiting in my office closet for me to do something with it.

You guys had some great tips..

I believe it was  “BJ” who gave me tips about my shades….such as……If you put them inside of a window, make sure your window frame is perfectly straight or your shades will not be straight.

I am worried about that.

I live in a crooked house.

Also, if this wall gets heavy sun…to make sure I purchased good liner and not just use sheets.

Good point.

And so, I did that.

Wholesale lining fabric came in.

I over ordered by accident……I believe I will have plenty……for the world.

So, my questions?

I would like to do the Roman Shades on the walls….above the windows….to make the windows appear taller.

I have hung all of my curtains high.

See?

See again?

I wasn’t fibbing.

So……

I am not sure exactly what to do here………

The awesome tutorial that I was planning on following….you can find it here…….(please note this disclaimer: her tutorial states 20 minutes per panel…..my projects are like dog years….multiply the time given by 7 then add 4 days and 47 hours….that should be how long it takes me)

But her tutorial…..

Tucks them in her window frames…..like most Roman Shades are…….

So cute!

But I am wondering if it wouldn’t shrink this room?

I have seen them placed over windows….and like that look.

What I was thinking…..was place them high….even over the french doors….we do not use this set often.

I can always raise them if we plan on using them.

The French doors are throwing me off a bit on my decision to raise them high.

Do you have any photos of roman shades?

Ideas of what to do here?

Other ideas?

Remember as well…….dog years…..

It has to not be too complicated.

Or my shades will not make it up until I am in my sixties.

Got any thoughts, suggestions or ideas?

Would love them before I start!

0 thoughts on “Roman Shades

• June 27, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Hi!
    I would place them above the windows so you don’t block the natural light coming in. I look forward to seeing what you come up with since I have windows that need updating. Have a blessed week!

• June 27, 2011 at 4:32 pm

Rebecca, yes you can hang them high. Make them about one inch wider on EACH side than the window FRAME. Sure hang them the same over the French doors.
    The ideal spacing is half way between the top of the window frame and the ceiling.
     If you go any higher than that you have too much space between the top of the window and the rod.  Becca ;~)

• June 27, 2011 at 8:13 pm

I don’t have any answers, but I’m impressed! I once was ready to attempt Roman shades and then decided to forget about it!

• June 27, 2011 at 9:17 pm

I’m in that “forgot about it” group as well, just looked too complicated to me. However, since looking at tutorials that make it look reasonably easy I may give it a try after all. I would do mine inside the window frame and I’m not sure if I have ever seen any hung above the frame. If I find any I’ll email you. Take care, VBg

• July 6, 2011 at 9:10 pm

I think the turtorial you are linking to says 20 PICTURES not minutes.  Just found your blog and bookmarked it!  It’s a good one!

• August 17, 2011 at 12:55 am

Don’t know if this comment is to late, but a wooden valance over the window ,hiding the top of the roman shade, painted one of the colors in the beautiful fabric. Would look clean and neat with the shade inside the window, you could even paint the wood trim to match the header(valance) hope this gives you some food for thought. Donna