What are you missing?

I saw this on Pinterest today and was challenged and convicted….

Take the time to read and share this.

Washington, DC Metro Station on a cold January morning in 2007. The man with a violin played six Bach pieces for about 45 minutes.
During that time approx. 2 thousand people went through the station, most of them on their way to work. After 3 minutes a middle aged man noticed there was a musician playing. He slowed his pace and stopped for a few seconds and then hurried to meet his schedule. 4 minutes later: The violinist received his first dollar: a woman threw the money in the hat and, without stopping, continued to walk. 6 minutes: A young man leaned against the wall to listen to him, then looked at his watch and started to walk again. 10 minutes: A 3-year old boy stopped but his mother tugged him along hurriedly. The kid stopped to look at the violinist again, but the mother pushed hard and the child continued to walk, turning his head all the time. This action was repeated by several other children.. Every parent, without exception, forced their children to move on quickly.. 45 minutes: The musician played continuously. Only 6 people stopped and listened for a short while. About 20 gave money but continued to walk at their normal pace. The man collected a total of $32. 1 hour: He finished playing and silence took over. No one noticed. No one applauded, nor was there any recognition. No one knew this, but the violinist was Joshua Bell, one of the greatest musicians in the world. He played one of the most intricate pieces ever written, with a violin worth $3.5 million dollars. Two days before Joshua Bell sold out a theater in Boston where the seats averaged $100. This is a true story. Joshua Bell playing incognito in the metro station was organized by the Washington Post as part of a social experiment about perception, taste and people’s priorities. The questions raised: *In a common place environment at an inappropriate hour, do we perceive beauty? *Do we stop to appreciate it? *Do we recognize talent in an unexpected context? One possible conclusion reached from this experiment could be this: If we do not have a moment to stop and listen to one of the best musicians in the world, playing some of the finest music ever written, with one of the most beautiful instruments ever made. How many other things are we missing?

Wow! Right?

Start today…..don’t miss out.

6 thoughts on “What are you missing?

• August 7, 2011 at 3:37 pm

I’ve read this before and thought how amazing it is that we have some of the most beautiful sights and sounds around us ALL THE TIME, and we are in too big a hurry..or, too much into “ME”, that we can’t see the forest for the trees.
    Thanks for posting this interesting article.

• August 7, 2011 at 3:38 pm

I’ve seen this article before.  They picked a VERY busy place.  What if they did the same, but in a smaller city.  I’d be willing to bet the outcome would be different.  And along those lines, can I share something with you?  (I”m sure you said yes, as you really have no choice!).  I live in an apartment, but we have families of quail living around us.  I have taken to walking every morning around the grounds and throwing wild bird seed outside my bedroom/craft room window.  I have attracted a family of quail…mom, dad and NINE babies!  The babes aren’t so little anymore, they are starting to get their top-knot feathers!  Silly as this may seem to some, this makes my heart happy.  Makes my day.  I’m happy.  So.  Sorry.  Had to share with someone.

• August 7, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Well, I haven’t seen it before.  Thanks for bringing it to my attention and the gentle reminder to live in the moment and enjoy every minute that God has given me.  I think I’m going to share this if you don’t mind.
    Connie (aka Lou)

• August 8, 2011 at 2:05 pm

I loved this…had never read it either.  Changing my outlook for today.  Thank you:)

• August 9, 2011 at 1:29 pm

A great reminder of what we miss every day of our lives if we do not pay attention…
    Thank you, sweet girl!
    Hugs,
    Celia

• February 20, 2012 at 12:41 am

WOW!! that is powerful!!! I think about these things some times, and I like to be reminded. I wish I didnt need to be reminded…. thanks for that!!!
    I know I have done this, and I will try to do better every single day…It must be sometime in childhood that we lose that natural curiousity and ability to see beauty out of context, huh? Wish I had known that when my children were little….
    AGAIN, THANKS!!!!!