Antique Portrait

Ok…..I have a challenge for you.

You didn’t ask for one you say?

Oh…..

Well, I have one anyways.

Keeps our brains alive.

Did you know that studies show that ……

Brain exercises help to prevent memory loss and boost brainpower

You’re welcome.

Here is your challenge………

Found this neat antique portrait at the thrift store today.

$4.99.

Yippee Yi Yay!

Perfect shape.

In a preservation frame.

But….I can’t read the writing well on the sticker.

Grand Pere’?

Of who?

Raymond Vidil?

I thought at first Vidal but it appears there is a dot over the word Vidal….which would make it an “i”.

It’s almost easier to read with a darker background.

I would love your sleuthing, thrifting, investigative skills!

What do you think it says?

I also have another question……

Just because it is a neat historical piece?

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Grand Pere’ or Grand Pa or Pappy…..is going to hang in my book room.

I think I shall come up with quite a spicy “history” about him to tell others if they ask…..

Unless you come up with one first.

Exercise your brains people!

Let me know what you think!

0 thoughts on “Antique Portrait

• August 25, 2011 at 7:45 pm

Ok, I love this kind of thing!  I would totally be doing the same thing if I had found this.  Ok, let me verify a few things.  Carlisle, Penn. was where it was framed?  Any other dates, etc. on the photo?  Tricky to make out the other name…true.

• August 25, 2011 at 8:04 pm

You always seem to “pull me in” to your little challenges. First answer: No I would not hang an old pic. of someone I don’t know because I have so many old pictures, silouettes, dereographs (spelling?), etc. of long gone relatives. Second answer: Mme or Miss or Marie –
    Varinot Raymond Vidal. (Just my guess). Three: I know where the gallery is in Carlisle, PA. It’s been there a long time and I think I may have been in it before. thegardengallery,com They used to do a lot of restoration work.

• August 25, 2011 at 8:31 pm

This is a photo of Raymond Vidal (grandfather of Marie Vincint) of Paris, France.  He had the portrait done prior to his departure to the new world so that Marie would remember him.  When Marie and her parents joined him years later, they had the picture framed at the Garden Gallery.  A few years after their arrival, Marie and her parents (Jacque and Brigit) were killed in a tragic accident.  Grandpere couldn’t bear any reminders so he left the portrait at the gallery for advertising.

• August 25, 2011 at 9:00 pm

Wow, go with what Jackie said!!!  ha
    I can only make out Raymond!!

• August 25, 2011 at 9:46 pm

Is she making that up?  Or does she….know…..????  It sounds so REAL, but…..is it?  Who is she?  This is spooky.  I LOVE SPOOKY!

• August 25, 2011 at 10:17 pm

“Would you hang an antique portrait up in your home of someone who isn’t related to you?”
    Not in my home, but defiantly on my blog or maybe just one wall in your home dedicated to oddities.

unless you consider yourself weird, than almost anything goes.

On my blog I can make anything be what I want it to be, at least google gave that impression when I first looked into blogging.

Its fun having my imaginary world collide with my real world.

• August 26, 2011 at 7:24 am

Oh, yes, I would definitely hang a picture of a guy like that!!  The fun is in having a different story every time!! 😉  Keeps ’em guessing!!

Actually, the whole “six degrees of separation” seems to play out time and again so, you know, there’s a connection there somewhere!! :)I second Jan’s guess of the names.  It’s the first name of the Varinot person that’s the hardest to make out.

• August 26, 2011 at 1:11 pm

I bought a wonderful portrait of a woman at a garage sale. It is obviously from the late 1800’s and the frame is chippy and aged to perfection. It hangs in my living room. Whenever anyone asks me who it is, I say Aunt Frances. (Notice, I do not say MY Aunt Frances…)
    Have lots of fun with it, Rebecca!!

• August 26, 2011 at 4:49 pm

woooooohooooooo a SLEUTHING job!!  I’m in for anything that I can stay in my jammies, drink coffee and wear a funny hat for!

I really think our previous caller was right…  Looks like Raymond Vidal  is a french grandpa of mrs. Varinot.  I could have done more but Ancestry.com was gonna make me go thru 19,000+ records and I don’t have the attention span for that ;o)

Also, yes I would hang the picture because it has such a tragic history.  This is your great aunt Ray.  The poor girl, from the time her momma tried to tie her hair up in those raggy strips, she knew she was different.  She just wanted to be out playing with her dog, Ellen.  Her whole life was spent in Paris…. Paris Texas that is.  But then she went on vacation and met the love of her life.  Anne Sassoon was beautiful and a brillant business woman) The two together devised a plan that would disguise the smitten Renee and the two would marry.  They had a wonderful life, living on the shores of Pennsylvania. No one ever knew of the ruse.   Not even their young adopted son ever told this story until now.  You see, they merged and created the largest hair care empire in the world, run by their son Vidal.  They only started it, so that Renee could have a convincing wig and beard and …..that’s the rest of the story ;o)

• August 26, 2011 at 7:43 pm

Oh myyyyy….I don’t see my post…..did I offend you?  If I did, I sure didn’t mean to…..oh nooo…..now I feel horrible….  please let me know :o(

• August 26, 2011 at 7:48 pm

No, you didn’t offend me! If I was offended that easily, I shouldn’t be blogging! ; ) I LOVED it BUT do not see it in this section of comments. It was emailed to me??? Where did it go?

• August 26, 2011 at 7:50 pm

This was your comment and I LOVED all of these stories! I want more of them! This cracked me up! I have no clue where it went from the comment section. I have had that happen on other posts?

I will paste it here: : )

Also, yes I would hang the picture because it has such a tragic history.  This is your great aunt Ray.  The poor girl, from the time her momma tried to tie her hair up in those raggy strips, she knew she was different.  She just wanted to be out playing with her dog, Ellen.  Her whole life was spent in Paris…. Paris Texas that is.  But then she went on vacation and met the love of her life.  Anne Sassoon was beautiful and a brillant business woman) The two together devised a plan that would disguise the smitten Renee and the two would marry.  They had a wonderful life, living on the shores of Pennsylvania. No one ever knew of the ruse.   Not even their young adopted son ever told this story until now.  You see, they merged and created the largest hair care empire in the world, run by their son Vidal.  They only started it, so that Renee could have a convincing wig and beard and …..that’s the rest of the story ;o)

• August 27, 2011 at 3:25 am

I was going to say Vidal too. I think he was a lawyer whose maiden sister lived with him. She wasn’t the usual kind of girl. Kept mostly to herself. Then one day she disappeared. He eventually got married, and he kept getting the feeling that his new wife knows something about why his sister vanished….

• August 28, 2011 at 12:26 am

I’ve been without internet for 3 days & attempted to check in on you (on my teeny tiny Blackberry) to make sure Irene hadn’t blown you away. I almost got sucked into this mystery, but 5-10 minutes in, I put it away until I could get back on my laptop.  I’m still resisting the urge to Google!!
    I am working on a cabinet that I bought at GW the other day. I had been in search of a gun cabinet to redo as a mini-armoire for my 3 year olds room.  I got the 1st coat of AS Antibes on & have been battling a migraine since.  As-is….my girls (and hubby) think it’s bee-u-ti-fuuuuul! Antibes would not have been my 1st choice, but, wow, it’s purty!!  After seeing that I could tone it down here: http://hueology.blogspot.com/2011/08/combining-waxes.html   I'm chomping at the bit to get back out in my garage to work on this puppy!  side note: A friend found a gun cabinet for me today. Yay! Going to load it up in the swagger wagon tomorrow!