Milk Paint end table

I am still waiting on my calcium carbonate to come in, so that I can try the home-made chalk paint….

I cannot wait.

Until then, I wanted you to see my second project using the inexpensive milk-paint.

Here is your standard little end table.

You know I like this style….

Why?

Because people miss the pretty in it and that makes it cheap.

I chose to try my hand with the Safe Paint Snow White.

My only other milk paint project was with the “Golden Yellow” and I wanted this one to more resemble the popular AS white so we could compare.

Still with me?

Ms Sandy at BeachesCoastalCreations.com sweetly told me that turning my piece upside down and painting this way first, would keep me from missing spots.

I knew that meant……..

I had been missing spots.

Ooops.

I’m so embarrassed.

So, I started with the table upside down this time.

It originally started looking like this…..

My conclusion……
~I had put too much water in the powder
~I had not mixed it good enough

So, I let it dry and applied another layer thinking I would just sand it smooth when it dried.

Just a fyi…this is the ASCP “old white” next to the Milk Paint “Snow White”.

I just wanted you to see the difference in the white.

You’re welcome.

After two layers of paint,  I felt it was ready to sand.

Main difference from ASCP…..the brush strokes do NOT sand out well.

Milk Paint can look streaky.

With my golden yellow.…..I didn’t get any streaks, so I am not sure if it was my mixture of paint.
I plan to check that with another attempt at using Snow White later.

I didn’t mind the brush strokes on this piece but it did not have a smooth look if that is what you need.

Time-wise….I had as much time involved as ASCP . YAY.

It also adhered well to this glossy wood with NO prep. YAY again.

So, let’s see the before again….shall we?

And after.

Sweet isn’t it?

I felt like the Milk Paint gave it a prettier aged look than chalk paint and stood up well to distressing.

See the streaks on the side of the table? The messy really didn’t “sand” out.
That’s what I was talking about.

But I went with that…….

I consider this a “Milk Paint Success” and am still very impressed with how easy it is to use.

Most of all, I am loving how cost effective this paint is!

Remember that Sandy and Lynette can send you your own Milk Paint and they can pack about 8 bags into a $5.95 flat rate box. They are trying to get it set-up where you can purchase online but you can go their website.…contact them and they would love to help you until then…….

Ka-peesh?

Are you ready to try it?

Have you tried it?

What do you think? Like the transformation?

Let me know!

Miss hearing from you guys!

ps. If you are joining us from one of the awesome linky parties, I canNOT wait to meet you! Like Me on Facebook so you don’t miss everything that is going on around here! You can start catching up with the most popular posts on the right of this page but give me a shout-out and let me know you are here! Love, Me

PPS
I’m linking up to:

0 thoughts on “Milk Paint end table

• September 28, 2011 at 2:57 am

I like the end table much better white.  I also like the silver drawer handle.  Was it hard to get it off to paint?

• September 28, 2011 at 3:14 am

I already like you on fb. Yay, and boy am I do. Perfect timing. I did the plaster of Paris mix with the paint and it was not good. It looks great, until you get close. You’d think I painted it in a sand storm. I mixed per instruction, and mixed & mixed it plus added a little water as instructed. It looked very creamy. I painted an old maple table with spindles so I am not willing to sand every little spindle all over again. I will check out the website. There is no AS dealer in my town, and I am too cheap to pay shipping! lol

• September 28, 2011 at 3:28 am

I look forward to your posts and projects everyday! I already “like” you on FB. You are so awesome to share your experiences. Your pieces are so well done and I learn so much from you :>) I have a question about finishing waxes…. Is it advisable to wax small portions at a time and buff? Do you do the buffing by hand or have a power tool ? Thanks … your awesome!

• September 28, 2011 at 4:32 am

It’s so fun to watch you transform icky furniture into lovely furniture!!  Amazing what white paint and some sanding will do!!  I do believe that everything in my house would look just like that table if I was let loose!! 😉

I really appreciate you doing all this paint testing, too!!  You are such a resource of paint and refinishing information and inspiration!!!  Thank you so much!!!!  🙂

• September 28, 2011 at 5:05 am

I love it!  I think milk paint was just added to my list of things to try.  Thanks!

• September 28, 2011 at 11:01 pm

Gorgeous!!  One quick question. Do you have to go over the paint with any kind of spray or wax to seal it or is it ok to just paint, distress and leave it alone?

• September 29, 2011 at 12:00 am

Kim, I use a paste from minwax or AS wax. I like to seal it that way and always make sure that the tops of my pieces are sealed enough that a wet cup won’t leave a ring. Let me know if you have any other questions! Love, Me

• September 29, 2011 at 4:12 am

I just tried the plaster of paris/paint mixture and didn’t care for the finished product. Even after two coats the finish was thin and streaky. Not so good when painting red over a black base.