Little green bird

I have had many people ask me about my new assistant.

Spunky….green…..precious.

I purchased her at Micheal’s over a year ago. She was $3.50.

I went into Michaels with the mindset to get one of the “pretty white birds” that I had been seeing in blogland….

But her pretty green color caught my attention.

Her price tag kept my attention.

And I bought her.

She has been living on the mantel in my living room and just recently became one of my props.

She has began up-staging my projects and taking some of the focus….but that’s all good because I had my reasons for using her.

Do you remember me telling you about buying my sister-in-laws old Nikon D2X?

It is way smarter than me.

Way smarter.

Learning how to operate the camera manually, or even on Auto for that matter, has been a struggle.

Mainly, because when I take the photo….it is usually not perfect….so I have to tweak the lighting after I upload it.

When I do that….I have to be very careful that I get my colors exactly right or you guys start thinking a white table is gray….a gray table is beige…..

Why do I know that?

Because I did that.

I could tell my adjustments were not exactly right and some of your comments confirmed that.

Which brought in my little green bird.

When I began using her as one of my props….her vivid color, was a “great check” for me when adjusting my photos.

I could make sure I was being true to “real life” with my colors.

And my little green bird….

She has become quite comfortable as my prop.

As long as she doesn’t get too “cocky”….she can stick around.

Sometimes….I just mess with her head.

And I pose her in crazy situations to see how she handles it.

You know…..Make sure she knows who’s boss…….

I call this “staff control”.’

I think she and I will do fine.

So are you having any photography issues?

Do you have tips to getting the perfect shot?

I’ve told you my secret……

Now tell me yours.

PS. If you are joining from one of the awesome linky parties…follow me someway! Don’t miss out on all that we have going on! I canNOT wait to meet you! Love, Me
PPS.
I’m linking up to:

0 thoughts on “Little green bird

• September 30, 2011 at 3:03 am

my biggest problem is that when I take a picture of an oil painting or a shiny type of surface I get refection from the flash and even too much glare on part of the painting out in the out doors sometimes. how can I take a really good photo of a wet oil painting and not get all the flash glare lighting glare..? Anyone know that one ? I’m going to read all the comments to see if anyone has more good photography tips…  thanks green birdie, that IS a good one for getting coloring right !

• September 30, 2011 at 10:56 am

You constantly crack me up.  So funny.  Love the pictures and little green bird!!

• September 30, 2011 at 2:54 pm

I’ve been collecting little birds for almost fifty years. Have them all over the house, porcelain, glass, carved wooden ones that were made by a man I knew, brass,china, pottery. Plus bird pictures and other bird trinkets. They are so cheerful and perk me up! Love your little green gal.

• September 30, 2011 at 9:34 pm

Heh, staff control! Cute bird, Love your pics too.

• October 1, 2011 at 6:55 pm

Mmmmmhhhhhmmmmmmm, one does need to keep their little bird in check or heaven knows what crazy demands you will encounter!!  Don’t ask me how I know!!  Let’s just say that putting her on the cooked chicken is in your best interest! ;P

My only photography advice is to keep taking pictures and find photographers who seem to capture your style and study their work.  See how they frame things and how they use light and bokah.  My good camera just crapped out…not sure why.  So, now I’m exclusively on my little p & s and am finding was to make that work like my DSLR….it can be done!!  🙂  Have fun with your new toy…er, tool!!!  🙂

• October 2, 2011 at 2:12 am

that is a great idea! I may just have to find me a little colorful assistant! As always you made me smile, and the next post about the elderly couple playing the piano is awesome…did you look at the other one of the the couple trying to figure out a mac>>> hilarious:)
    hugs
    Mandy

• October 2, 2011 at 11:22 pm

Kat, I didn’t see your answer but I have this issue when trying to show art! I will do some digging and see what i come up with! Love, Me

• October 7, 2011 at 6:39 am

What a sweet little birdy helper! I am a fan of little bird ornaments too:) I think yours is just too precious! Thank you for sharing her with us. God bless x

• October 10, 2011 at 11:33 pm

Love the little bird. I want one!!!! I learned tip (can’t remember where *gasp*) using cardboard spray adhesive and tin foil you can make your own reflector for aiming more light to your object. It works great!

• October 14, 2011 at 7:19 pm

I found some very similiar birds at Dollar Tree, they are grey and a little textured but with the lovely Krylon Spray Paint colors you could make you own close copies…they have (3) different styles….I am going to “lift” this for sure 🙂