Colombia, South America

You read the title right.

That is where I am.

I have a wonderful friend who is getting married.

We and a few other friends in the states were invited.

No one could go and because of the cost of the tickets…..only I could go and not both Romeo and myself.

Did I mention I’m a homebody?

Did I mention I’m never away from Romeo…..ever….and we like it like that?

Did I mention I am never away from my son and we…..well me…..likes it like that?

Did I mention it makes me feel as if my daughter is too scarily far away now?

A week before the date I would need to leave….we found a deal on a ticket…..and I booked it.

GULP.

I emailed my friend who was so excited and said they would be there at the aiport to pick me up.

No backing out now.

Did I mention my other Colombian friend in the states said DO NOT WEAR GOLD JEWLERY IT IS VERY DANGEROUS, right before I left. She was pulling out of my driveway and left me with that one sentence….

Wha????

Did I mention upon telling my parents goodbye, and how I was going to keep up my running and walking, my father jumped up from the table…..scaring me to death…..and said, you will not run out by yourself. It is not safe! etc. etc. etc.

And I was like……..HUH?

Did I mention that when I got into Colombia and was going through customs, they asked me where I was staying…..in Spanish……and I didn’t understand?

Did I mention I hive up when I’m nervous?

At this point I was scared to death….realizing I am in a foreign country, homesick and canNOT understand what the heck to do, nor their language.

They asked me again….with a few broken English words of “staying”….”location”…..

So, nervously, I answered, “I am staying in Colombia”.

They looked at me oddly, aggravated…….and uttered a few other broken, words of “staying” ….”Location”….

So, nervously, I said slower…and louder….so they could understand me…….”COOOOO-LUMMMMMMM-BEEEEEEEE-UHHHHH!”

Did I mention that Colombia is their country……duh…..and that my answer was probably a little too broad for what they were needing?

Yep.

They got the word “address” in……..

And I realized…what they needed.

Did I mention I had no address of my friend…..no telephone number…..nothing.

I just knew they were picking me up.

Did I mention they will not let you past customs without an address or telephone number of where you are staying. Even when you tearfully keep telling them they can ask your friend…they are waiting outside for you…..

And they will tell you that you cannot pass without. Just tell you to stand outside of line, because you do not have your location.

Yep.

After quite some time, and the aide of friendly bi-lingual travelers, trying to assist me with getting through customs…..the customs people allowed me out of the airport….

And into the waiting arms of my friends who wondered where the heck I had been, because I was in customs over two hours.

Did I mention I’m a homebody?

Did I mention I am never away from Romeo and we like it that way?

Did I mention my heart aches from being away from my children?

Tomorrow, they are talking about maybe going to my friends, step-fathers, ostrich farm and ranch.

They said, it is safe, they have not had many problems with “guerilla’s”, in his area.

The guerilla’s they are referring to, are not the animal type…..well, they are animals, but not on four legs.

His farm is near the jungles of Bogota.

How about no one tells my dad. Kk?

Did I mention I’m a homebody?

They are wanting me to see the beauty of their country and say that the danger is only in specific areas. They are proud of their country.

I am embracing that.

The gorgeous wool wrap that I am wearing…. their neighbors daughter, hand-made it for me on a loom.
It is a beautiful country, my friends are so gracious and I am so blessed to be here to be with them as they get married.

Did I mention I get homesick?

I miss you guys!

Love to you all!

0 thoughts on “Colombia, South America

• October 15, 2011 at 12:23 pm

I am just like you and so many times I don’t committ and do things I should, but when I do I am always glad I did.  I hope you have an amazing time and it is all worth it.  It looks beautiful.

• October 15, 2011 at 1:26 pm

OMG….. Stay safe and by all means enjoy every moment of your trip.  The pictures you inserted are really amazing.  The wrap is beautiful too.  See you back here soon.
    Connie

• October 15, 2011 at 1:39 pm

Oh Rebecca, I laughed so hard and teared up for you! You are so funny and so brave! I’m proud of you for taking on this adventure.  I seriously just read your post out loud to my husband who travels all over the world, and he was nodding his head about the custom debacle.  I wouldn’t have known that either about the address thing, these world travelers need to share these type of details with us homebodies.  Praying you have a fabulous, lovely, beautiful vacation and you come back with lots of memories of your international trip!

PS we won’t tell you dad about Bogota. 😉

Heather

• October 15, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Okay, here’s me… Wow, she is in Comumbia!! Then… oh cool, look! I get to see her cute new short haircut. (Fab by the way) Guess my attention span is a little lacking 😉 I would have been freaking in customs. I don’t blame you. It looks like you are having a fantastic life experience though. Have fun and enjoy. The pictures are gorgeous!

• October 15, 2011 at 8:01 pm

Wow, Rebecca! You go, girl! I’m sure you’re homesick and naturally that’s ok just don’t get too caught up in it and not enjoy your trip fully! Once in lifetime (maybe?) opportunity! Have fun!!   Jo Ann

• October 15, 2011 at 8:36 pm

WOW!!  You’re like me.. homebody who NEVER leaves!!  You got cojones!!  That a spanish word…kinda vulgar..for “balls”  lol….

• October 15, 2011 at 8:56 pm

WOW CHICK!!!!!  Way to go off and have a grand adventure!    I break out in hives too, and I’m also a homebody so I feel your pain.  Love the hair, by the way

• October 16, 2011 at 5:53 pm

Must have been so weird and upsetting going through customs…I am also a home-body.  you have wonderful friends who are so glad to have you there for this important day with them.Be proud of yourself for being so brave and adventurous.  Enjoy it as much as possible and hurry back home I am sure you will have a great welcome back home then.

be safe my blog-friend !

– KAT –

• October 16, 2011 at 9:36 pm

Your momma and daddy said you better be careful and get home safely

• October 17, 2011 at 6:11 am

You are so cute and so brave!!!!!  I’m a homebody, too, so I feel for you!  You look so comfortable and chic there one would never know!! 🙂  I love that you are embracing the adventure!!!   Your pictures are lovely!!  My thoughts and prayers are with you as you enjoy your grand adventure!!!

• October 17, 2011 at 7:47 pm

OK – so I know it’s just a handy little writing trick… but it’s time for you ‘ to mention’ how blessed you are to be able to stretch your world this way; how cool all the architecture, crafts, landscape, people are; how many ideas you will come home with for new transformation projects; how much more often new situations prompt you to pray…. It’s all good, Rebecca.  And it is so grand to have a home and a Romeo to come home to!   Enjoy!