An Old Chair

The day that I found the antique chair that I did the love/hate slipcover on….I found another one.

Remember the love/hate slip-covered chair?

Block it out?

Well, here it is again…..

You’re welcome if you loved it.

You’re welcome if you hated it.

; )

But anyways….

The same day I found that chair, I found another one.

This one.

And just so you know….

I can’t bear to paint it.

It is really old. Maybe……

I’m 100% confident that it might be old.

Ok….not 100%. Maybe like 50% confident that it MIGHT be old.

This is the engraving on the bottom of the chair.

But I canNOT figure out how old it is.

The letters in between, “Louisville and FURN CO.” are worn down.

The big US is puzzling.

Government chair?

New products…do they say, USA instead of US?

See that hole next to the “arm”…..I wonder if it was an old high chair?

Look at the metal around the nails. It reminds me of  old “gun barrel” metal. I know that is a doofy explanation but I don’t know what it is……
So, gun barrel metal it is.

The nails and screws are definitely not modern.

I will be cleaning it more to let the patina shine through.

But I won’t be sanding it.

So there.

The legs are reinforced with the “gun – barrel – cable – thingys – metal – stuff”.

Try googling that for a reference.

It doesn’t work, by the way.

What if it is just an old Cracker Barrel chair?

I would be a dork.

I don’t think so.

I can’t be a dork……

Can I?

Do you know anything about this style of chair?

Can you blame me for not painting it?

Aren’t you so excited for another version of the no-sew, bra like, overall style, long skirted slip-cover?!!!

If you aren’t.

It will be different, so don’t worry.

If you are.

It won’t be too different, so don’t worry.

I aim to please.

Any tips on the chair?

Any ideas on age?

Can’t wait to hear!

18 thoughts on “An Old Chair

• October 21, 2011 at 8:02 pm

Thank goodness you are not painting it. If I see one more blogger slap ASCP on beautiful wood I WILL retire and open a furniture stripping business. By the look of blog world I’ll be very busy in a couple of years when people begin to regret the red paint the put on their mahogany dresser.

• October 21, 2011 at 10:59 pm

I say clean up the chair, love it for what it is- no matter what and embrace the DORK-ness.
    You can so be a dork.  Nothing will happen.  :  )

• October 22, 2011 at 2:23 am

Great patina!  I love a mix of painted and stained furniture, and not painting this chair is a good call.

• October 22, 2011 at 4:22 am

What a great chair…I wish I could answer your questions…I am intrigued too. Hopefully someone will come to your aid in blog land and Facebook. Anyway…not sure about the skirt yet…but you will make it look good. Hugs,
    Mandy

• October 22, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Yes the chair is old.
    The maker looks to be the Louisville Chair and Furniture Company. So far I have found records for the company going back to the 1840’s…and probably a little older. So I would think the comd date(commissioned/completion?) of 8-23-40 would be the 1840’s…not the 1940s.

• October 23, 2011 at 2:16 pm

YAY! That is sooooo cool that you found that. I may just keep it! I love having you around! I will have to do a slip cover that honors it! Love, Me

• February 18, 2013 at 12:40 pm

Hi there! I have SIX chairs just like this!!! Metal cables and all. I too have tried googling with no success. I thought the metal cables were put there by someone trying to reinforce them after they’d been in use for a while. I would LOVE to know more about them. Did you ever find out anything more? Thanks! Erin

• February 18, 2013 at 12:47 pm

Hey Erin, I have no clue but some of the comments had some insight. I canNOT believe you found SIX! I would love that!Did you read some of the comments? They might lead you in the right direction. XOXO! Rebecca

• October 23, 2011 at 2:17 pm

I think the comment after you has it pinned down to around 1840! The skirt is debatable isn’t it? : ) Let’s see what I can come up with this time! Love, Me

• October 23, 2011 at 2:18 pm

I have thought the same thing many times. I can see when it isn’t really old….but these unique old pieces…..I love letting their natural state show! Love, Me

• November 21, 2011 at 1:29 am

You won’t find that engraving on the bottom of a circa 1840 chair. This chair is factory made. Still a neat chair, probably made for the military.

• February 18, 2013 at 12:38 pm

• February 15, 2013 at 5:17 pm

• April 9, 2015 at 5:06 pm

I actually found this identical chair yesterday mine has more metal en firms td on it yours only had one it’s the samt chair! Mine also has the exact markings under it and it appears to say 8-23-40 which I believe is when it was made. I would love to share photos with you of the one I have let me know how I lay do that!