Haunting Me…..

Halloween is over.

It is sad with my kids being older.

I don’t get to enjoy the fun of getting their costumes ready and taking them and their friends out trick or treating.

This was over 12 years ago……….

Challenger is the cowboy and Freebird is the cheerleader with the yellow vest on in this picture.

Wahhhhh……………….

This year, instead of preparing costumes Halloween day, I cut my dad and Romeo’s hair……

I’m awful at cutting hair but my dad and Romeo insist on me doing it.

I mean….I’m really bad.

I have begged them to get someone else.

I truly am making it up as I go.

For real.

They won’t listen.

I have gotten better, or at least faster………not necessarily better.

Just fast and bad.

They still won’t get another porch lady to cut their hair.

Dang it.

So…my Halloween day… I made some chili and vegetable soup, cut some hair and bought ALOT of candy in case some family got lost…in the country…..on our dirt road……and were brave enough to trick or treat at our house.

I wanted warm smells…..shiny candy……and trick or treaters.

Or lost strangers.

Either one would work.

I had high hopes.

And lots of candy.

No one wandered into our country abode.

Except my brother, sister-in-law and their children……..

Because they live next door.

How cute are they?

They dress like this every day.

They were the extent of our trick-or-treaters.

And I still had tons of candy left over.

So, why do I buy all of this candy?

I do this………….

Every.Single.Year.

Buy a ton of candy. Wait just in case………and then eat it all after Halloween is over.

I think I know what I am doing…….

I think I know in my “brain” that no one is going to drive down our dark, dirt road and then send their precious children up to our door to get candy and directions home.

But I still buy candy and pretend I’m going to give it all away.

I “think” I know I won’t.

I “think” I just want to eat it.

But this year was different. My kids were grown. I’m a bad, porch, hair cutting lady now on Halloween day and I needed to be more mature about this.

So , I thought I would out smart myself on candy, since I figured out what I “think” I may be doing and I did something to ensure I wouldn’t be tempted to eat the fattening stuff.

Tasty weight watchers candy = Smart.

Their bright shiny wrappers welcoming me and encouraging me to not eat the “fatty mcfatty” candy.

Readily available to keep any temptations at bay.

I remembered they were there to keep temptations at bay after my fourth Reese’s cup.

After that, I just ignored them.

Another year.

Another 5 lb Halloween.

Hope yours was fun!

Was it?

Did you dress up?

Are you switching out decor for Thanksgiving?

I feel like I haven’t heard from you in forever!

Going to make some thrift store rounds today……I will share my goodies with you later!

0 thoughts on “Haunting Me…..

• November 2, 2011 at 10:47 am

That is soooo funny!  You are a hoot!
    I did not dress up.  My oldest daughter and I passed out candy here in Ohio. Some awesome costumes came by.  I hardly decorated for Halloween so I definitely need to decorate for Thanksgiving.  I am lame!

• November 2, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Awwww, no trick or treaters? We had about 10 and I was pleased as punch, seeing as we were sure to get the good candy. Ha. You’re a strong woman for even putting weight watchers candy near the regular candy. Brave I tell you. I would totally eat all the good stuff first, THEN have the weight watchers candy. Ha. Happy Halloween (sort of, a few days late, but you get the jist)

• November 2, 2011 at 7:03 pm

Hey Rebecca, I will save you from all that “bad” candy.  Just send it to my house and then you won’t be tempted.  I didn’t buy any this year.  Thankfully no eggs or corn thrown at the house so I don’t think anybody missed it…except me. Hope you’re having a good day =)

• November 2, 2011 at 7:07 pm

You never fail to make me laugh! My youngest daughter stayed home from school yesterday due to a virus so she and I swapped out Halloween to Thanksgiving. It was much more fun having help. I’m not sure if I am getting lazy or smart but many of my jack-o-lanterns just got turned around and are now pumpkins! Easy peasy. I am trying to resist the urge to “fix” some of the decorations…don’t want to hurt her feelings. But, some of it is driving me crazy. I don’t think she will notice…I hope!

• November 2, 2011 at 11:40 pm

I can relate….we used to live in the country on 2 acres. Every year I bought candy & we were lucky to get 3 people. This year is different, due to losing our business we have downsized. We are now in a typical neighborhood with a lot of kids. I actually ran out of candy & had to run to Target to buy more……of course there’s now some left for me 😉

• November 3, 2011 at 12:19 am

Katie,

I had to respond! I have been there losing our business as well! Just wanted to know that I sympathize with your heart but also know there is joy in “less” and pray you are experiencing that joy! Please keep in touch! Thank you for stopping by. Love, Me

• November 5, 2011 at 1:36 am

Awwww!!! My kids are still old enough to dress up, but way too old to take out trick or treating 🙁 …so sad!!! Now they wanna hang with their cool friends…whatev!! 😉

We know the losing a business pain and are in it right now, too. It’s tough but I am learning so much about gratitude, doing with less and prayer. But it is not easy…not easy at all.

Enjoy the candy!! 🙂