Dressers……

I have never painted a dresser.

Source: ohdeedoh.com via Liz on Pinterest

I want to.

Why haven’t I painted them, you ask?

Because I never find a dresser cheap enough.

But as fate would have it…….

When I did find one dresser cheap enough…….

I found three more at the same time.

FOUR!

Two are still iffy. I will find out for sure today.

Less than $20.00 each.

And good dressers.

Real wood.

Lots of details.

My garage is once again full of furniture.

What is fun about this batch, is that it is different furniture than I have done before.

Which means different pieces than I have posted before.

Which is good for all of us.

Right?

Right.

I am a little worried about dressers for a few reasons.

Sticky drawers, from paint……..

Missing handles or pulls……..

Warped drawers I may have to fix……….

Anything else I should know about?

Have you painted one?

Do you paint the inside or is that just asking for too much work?

Got any tips?

I would love to hear them!

PS. All of the beautiful dressers in the above post are linked back to the Pinterest page where they were found.

0 thoughts on “Dressers……

• November 11, 2011 at 1:40 pm

I painted the drawers on the one I just finished, the drawers don’t seem to stick. As for drawer pulls, chance are you will want to replace them anyway unless they are fabulous.

• November 11, 2011 at 2:29 pm

hard decision…all those dressers are so cool. I never painted one I once stripped and stained and varnished an old dresser. that was so long ago (1976) but I still have it. funny how furniture becomes a part of the family kind of…

– KAT –

• November 11, 2011 at 2:41 pm

I have painted many a dresser out of shear cheapness!! LOL!! I have found that the best thing to help yourself in the long run is do a good job prepping first. If any drawers stick or are hard to pull out figure out what’s wrong first. Most likely a little sanding will work. Or if they run on rails, tightening them up will help. Make sure to decide before you paint if your going to change the pulls/handles. I never paint the whole drawer, just the fronts. Personal choice!! I usually line the drawers with a nice paper (wrapping, scrapbook, etc.)and Mod-Podge it in. Make sure to let everything dry well before putting the drawers back in. Cured paint is less apt to get sticky!! If all else fails you can use an old candle stub or bar soap to rub along the sticky part to help it move freer! Hope you have fun with your new adventure!! 🙂

• November 11, 2011 at 4:50 pm

How exciting!!! I can’t wait to see what you do with your new acquisitions!! 🙂

I like your idea Shannon of Mod Podging in paper inside the drawers!! I always think pretty paper inside a drawer is a treat. 🙂

I like Natty by Designs blog..she’s always doing dressers. She doesn’t distress them, but she picks fun colors and hardware.

• November 11, 2011 at 11:41 pm

I can’t wait to see what you come up with! Sticky drawers unstick with sandpaper and rubbed on car, bees, or candle wax. I’ve used hard bar soap before after a friend told me about it, and it works great. As for missing hardware, new hardware is not that much at home improvement stores if you aren’t going for the made-of-gold stuff. You can do it!:~)

• November 12, 2011 at 6:55 am

another fix for sticky drawers is ski wax – and scented drawer liners — make your own with wrapping paper and your favourite perfume – or a wee bag of lavender

• November 13, 2011 at 4:21 am

Ooh, SO excited to see what you come up with! I have one that needs a facelift and you may just inspire it! Thanks!!
    Brittney