Wooden bowls

I see wooden salad bowls at thrift stores all the time.

Recently I found this wooden bowl.

I blogged about it and we all seemed to agree that it was not an antique “dough” bowl or “biscuit” bowl. That is what some people call them in the south. I think. Maybe it’s only me. Hmmmmm….better not quote me on that one, until I’m sure. : )

We have an antique “dough bowl” or “biscuit bowl”. It is really special because it was my husbands grandmothers and was constantly used and believed to be handed down from her mother.

This is his grandmothers “biscuit bowl”.

His bowl moves all around the house. It may hold fruit or vegetables in the kitchen. Season decor or dried flowers. I love this bowl and the history it represents.

He remembers spending a majority of his childhood at his grandparents farm. It was a working farm. One of the largest in the county and truly their source of survival. He would work the farm and his grandmother would always have huge “home-made”, like “home-made” down to killing the chicken in the front yard, kind of dinners and lunches for everyone who worked the farm. Big tables were spread out. Pitchers of lemonade and water were in abundance and home made biscuits were the norm. Workers and family ate together. Recently, an older business acquaintance shared a special story with my husband. He stated that he was from a share-croppers family. Share croppers, in that day and age, were the poorest of the poor.  He stated that his family worked for my husbands grandfather and that some of his fondest memories were from those days. That on some mornings, if he had stayed late and slept there after working or was there when the children (my husbands father and siblings) were leaving for school, that the grandfather would tell them to all line up. He would include all the children in this line up. Share croppers children and his own. He would then give them each 10 cents for their lunches at school. He stated to my husband that this would many times be the only meal he would have. That he would always feel so special to be included like family and treated with respect. That was the man his grandfather was. My husband adored his grandfather and followed him everywhere. He would stay there a majority of his childhood nights as an “escape” from the stresses at home. His grandfather and grandmother were not “soft” or “mushy” people. They worked hard, they lived in tough times but they loved my husband. There was a time that they were visiting my husband at his home and he begged to go back home with them. His father, who was raising four children on his own, told him that he could not go with them. So, my husband took matters in his own hands and when no one was looking hid in the back seat of their car. When they pulled up to their farm, he jumped up and yelled, “Surprise”! Can you imagine the looks on their faces? They disciplined him for hiding in their car and took him back home. Back to where he would suffer for the fact that he had defied his fathers orders. He says he remembers to this day his grandfather bringing him home, telling him he had to stay there and pulling his father aside and giving his own fatherly order. “Don’t you touch that boy”. His father did not defy his fathers orders. His grandfather died when my husband was 14 and his grandmother shortly after. They left a void but also changed a boys life.

This bowl…this bowl…….

Not just a bowl. Not just an antique.

It represents to me a time and place where my husband became the man that he is.

How I wish I could have met these wonderful, tough, non mushy, loving grand parents.

So, yes, I love our “biscuit bowl” and it’s heritage will continue.

But back to my thrift store bowl with no story whatsoever.

I wanted to get your thoughts on this bowl before I changed it.

We all agreed…..not an antique.

So, it has been just sitting in the garage and it was time.

Want to see what a little paint could do with a thrift store wooden bowl?

I plan to play with it a little more but what a fun change. I sanded a bit to much on the side where it was painted and it is peeping through. I am actually going to darken this paint a bit and play with the color a tad.

Wouldn’t it be pretty with dried lavender for the spring? Wheat in the fall? Oranges? Lemons?

Get the picture?

What about these bowls that I picked up from Goodwill for $1.00 each.

I really like them as they are and use them for serving bowls for salads and for popcorn. Recently though a family member, that remains unidentified,  put one in the dishwasher which dried it out and really made it ugly.

I may have to get out my paint brush again. I’m sure it would be pretty in green or red. Don’t you think?

How many times have you passed up those out of date salad bowls at Goodwill? Yardsales?

Maybe you should look at them twice.

Don’t you think?

This bowl may start it’s own story. Begin making memories for my children.

We can make the pieces in our home just decor or we can make them heritage pieces.

I like the heritage piece idea myself.

Like the painted bowl idea?

Could you see yourself using it somehow?

Seen these at thrift stores or yard sales?

What is your most treasured piece that you have because of the memories that it brings?

I would love to know.

I love hearing from you.

PS. If you are just finding YouAreTalkingTooMuch please subscribe. I would love to meet you as well. I would also love to have you as a Facebook friend. Stick around! I believe you will enjoy your visits. Love, Me

I’m linking up to:

0 thoughts on “Wooden bowls

• February 4, 2012 at 2:34 pm

I enjoyed reading the story about your husband’s dough bowl and his grandparents. I have a dough bowl that has a story behind it, but not as good as yours. But you’ve inspired me to do a post about it.

• February 4, 2012 at 2:38 pm

I’m sure your story is just as special. Remember, the dough bowl was just a part of the story. Your story will be just as special as how you tell it. I cannot wait to hear it. Would you come back to this post and share your link to your post when you decide to post it? I would love for my readers to hear it. Love, Me

• February 4, 2012 at 2:50 pm

You can oil, olive oil, the dried out bowl, if you don’t want to paint it. Great post, enjoyed your husbands story.

• February 4, 2012 at 3:15 pm

I’m from the south and you’re right, they are dough or biscuit bowls. My great-grandmother made biscuits daily in hers. I have one that my husbands grandfather made. When I got it, it looked more like your thrift store bowl than your heirloom bowl. I don’t think it had actually been used to make biscuits. I sanded and oiled it with butcher block oil then gave it a coat of dark wax. It gave it a smooth weathered looking sheen.
    I really like the white paint, it looks like a photo from Pottery Barn.

• February 4, 2012 at 8:06 pm

I just loved reading this post about your husband’s grandfather. So sweet. What good people they were. Very inspiring and heart warming.

I am on the lookout now for wooden bowls!

♥charlotte

• February 4, 2012 at 8:12 pm

I have a dough bowl I inherited as well. It was hand made by my great grandfather for my great grandmother when they were first married. It’s very primitive looking compared to most I’ve seen. The wood is very smooth but the shape is very uneven & it has a crack. I use it in my decor & love it.

• February 4, 2012 at 8:32 pm

I have a big bowl that was my mom’s. It’s not wood…she got it in the 50’s so it’s….ceramic? Probably painted with the kind of paint you’re not supposed to use anymore. She made bread dough in it. It’s huge so I’ve never really had it out, other than on top of the refrigerator a time or two. But you know, I’m gonna get it out where it can be seen. So my grandkids can learn it’s story. Thanks, kiddo, I needed this!

• February 4, 2012 at 11:31 pm

Thanks for sharing (beautifully, I might add) your husband’s story. If you get sick of doing furniture, which I hope doesn’t happen any time soon, you could be a writer. Hubs has some heritage pieces, grandpa’s watch, stuff like that. I have my grandmother’s then my father’s bachelor’s chest. It’s been all through the family and always ends up back here. I’ll take some pictures and post soon. Thanks for an idea, my brain’s been bone dry. My favorite piece is the Hoosier cabinet that hubs and I got ourselves for our 5th anniversary (wood year, ya know). It was a mess, that’s how we could get it, and he and I did it over together–31 yrs. ago! It’s in my “Christmas at our Hoosier” post.
    craftythriftydecoratingwifemom.wordpress.com
    Janet

• February 5, 2012 at 12:47 am

Not sure I can add a comment– loved your story about your husband’s heritage bowl. Had not heard or read about them being referred to as a dough bowl or biscuit bowl. My mom had one -believe larger that she used for working the butter after it came out of the churn. Special very thing wooden paddle for that purpose. Honestly–though if it isn’t a special bowl–no paint(that’s me tho) and I would rather see maybe rubbed with wax to bring out the character of the wood!!

• February 5, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Beautiful story!! You have been pulling my heart strings here lately and I wish you would stop LOL. Totally Kidding. I love having pieces of history to pass down. I don’t have much from my grandma, but we just inherited quite a few pieces from my Hub’s grandparents. We have several from his Great Grandma as well. My daughter is only 2, and my son not even a year, but I will make sure they get a piece of their heritage.
    Jamie R

• February 6, 2012 at 10:00 am

Wooden bowl are look so fabulous.After paint this bowls are so fabulous.Thanx to share with us this different and fabulous idea.

free lyrics