The most controversial post in history

I am getting ready to hit publish on a post that could rock my little blog world.

I am not stupid and I realize the ramifications.

I could lose readers.

I could lose sponsors.

I could find myself receiving hate mail.

Remember when I said I would take “one” for the team? Team, meaning you guys? I’m going to take the hit……

Are you ready?

Are you going to hate or love me?

Are you going to run or stand with me, agree or not?

What could be so controversial, you ask?

Well…..are you going to vote republican or democrat?

Just teasing on that one……

Just vote either way.

It’s not politics or religion but I know without a doubt I am going to step on my faithful readers toes.

I am going to cause a “murmur”.

I’m going to make my “sister friends” cringe…want to hit their computers…..want to turn away.

BUT………

Here I go.

I have been steadily and rapidly gaining weight.

I have had my thyroid checked, my hormones checked, my diet checked.

I have exercised, began a running regimen and prayed.

I have even ran one 10k and one 5k.

I have still increased in weight and NO…not in just muscle “weight”.

Weight as in FAT….belly fat.

Tired of Muffin Top?
 source: http://www.ivillage.com/best-belly-fat-blasters/4-b-341877?nlcid=ht|05-12-2011|#341876

This is NOT my belly btw. I may be “taking one for the team” but I’m not that crazy.

Anyway…..

NOT ONE THING worked.
Even my husband was concerned.

Great. I AM a fatty McFatty and he could tell!

He kept being supportive. Telling me there was nothing else I could do. To stay strong but he even felt something may be wrong.

Then he started gaining and primarily through his belly.

Image:Lose Belly Fat Intro.jpg
Source: http://www.wikihow.com/Image:Lose-Belly-Fat-Intro.jpg

Houston, we have a problem.

What.The.Heck.

It was his “belly fat” that made something click.

source:http://www.pixeland.co.uk/slides/advertise-marketing.jpg

And when I realized what MAY be the problem, I barely wanted to speak it.

I didn’t want to face it.

I didn’t want to lose it.

It wasn’t sugar, dairy, carbs, protein or fat.

It was something of nightmarish proportions.

Something awful to grasp.

And this is what I have to share with you tonight. Why tonight? Because we have a soccer game at 9:30…isn’t that an awful time btw……but we will be gone when this publishes and I won’t have to face the consequences.

We are “sister friends”. Some “male friends” even. Bloggy best friends.

And many of us have something in common.

And I think…..I THINK……..one of our “common links” was causing belly fat in our household.

For real.

Ready? Finally?

When I kept gaining weight, I cut out all regular sodas. I increased my water intake but I also increased a regular diet drink.

A POPULAR diet drink.

And when I increased….my husband started drinking it and LOVED it…..and we were faithful diet soda drinkers.

It is a SPECIAL diet soda.

It EVEN has it’s doctorate.

WE loved it. We loved it a lot!

And I KNOW many of you love it.

I am just going to spit it out.

We stopped Diet Dr. Pepper about two weeks ago and did nothing else differently. We didn’t increase water intake. We didn’t cut out sugar. We drank tea with Splenda like normal. We drank sweet tea. We ate cake. Ate banana nut bread. Ate fat. Ate protein. Ate normal. Ate fattening. (Ate is starting to look weird now as I type it)
I even started drinking “regular” soda every once in a while.
We were slack on running and exercise because I hurt my shoulder. (I used the shoulder excuse on running. I know……)

We ONLY stopped our Diet Dr. Peppers.

And.We.Are.Losing.Belly.Fat.

We haven’t even really talked about it together.

I just said,  “I am drinking too much Diet Dr. Pepper and I think I am going to stop it for a bit.”

When I did….Romeo did too.

I didn’t even voice exactly why I was stopping.

Then the day before yesterday, I noticed my belly felt different and Romeo’s was looking different.

And I said….”I think I may be losing some belly fat? My weight hasn’t really changed but my belly feels different.”

And Romeo said…..”I wasn’t going to say anything but I noticed the difference on you too.”

Thanks honey? I was a fatty McFatty!

So, I quickly said….”Well your belly looks smaller too!”

So there.

Conclusion.

Controversial conclusion.

I think Diet Dr. Pepper was actually causing our belly fat?!

And since I stopped Diet Dr. Pepper another weird thing has happened.

I’m not as hungry.

I did not stop Diet Dr. Pepper expecting anything. I just thought it might be good to stop drinking it so much.

It has caused me to wonder if I should cut out artificial sweetener in my tea. For real.

I’m not sure….but something is connected. Something with the artificial sweeteners……

My mother has been harping this for years. I am so glad she has a problem getting on her internet so I don’t have to hear her, “I told you so”.

And my mother is not the only one that thinks so apparently. Before I posted this….I found these articles.

ABC NEWS
TIME MAGAZINE
HUFFINGTON POST

Now, all of that said…..

Don’t you wish I would have posted something about religion or politics?

This is worse, isn’t it?

I loved my Diet Dr. Pepper!

Noticed a weight gain you can’t put your finger on…….specifically your belly?

I will continue my experiment and let you know what I think.

Even if you aren’t asking my opinion.

You’re welcome.

Think I’m crazy?

Love a good.cold.diet.Dr.Pepper? (it even makes my mouth water, typing that)

Eyes rolled back in your head because this post is soooooo long?

Know someone that LOVES their diet soda?

Do you love a good diet soda?

Wake up and let me know.

Have you all turned on me?

Anyone?

I’m hitting “publish” and outta’ here.

There goes my Diet Dr. Pepper possible sponsorship.

Image Map

PS.
I’m linking up to:

56 thoughts on “The most controversial post in history

• March 3, 2012 at 2:00 am

I agree… I don’t think it’s diet dr pepper specifically but artificial sweeteners in general. I had a huge problem with Splenda and gut ache!
    And I could never hate you or abandon your blog!!! You’re tops in my book!!!

• March 3, 2012 at 5:14 am

Karen, you are so sweet and faithful! What happened with your “gut ache”? That is scary! Did you stop artificial sweeteners? Love, Me

• March 3, 2012 at 2:02 am

I have heard time and again that diet soda makes you actually gain weight. Sorry you’ll be missing out on your Diet DP fix 🙁 Glad you’re feeling more like you though. Romeo too 😉

• March 3, 2012 at 5:15 am

I had hear that for years as well and only started drinking diet when I tried diet Dr. Pepper. Ready to get my body back. Or as close as I can. : ) Love, Me

• March 3, 2012 at 2:05 am

I totally believe you are correct! I don’t know about just Diet Dr. Pepper, but I think diet sodas in general. I was off of them last fall and then during a difficult situation just before the holidays, I started drinking them again. And I’m still drinking them and still gaining weight and hungry ALL the time! I keep thinking it’s the diet Dr. P, but I have of yet to stop even when I know I should. I’m so glad you told me this because now, I’M ON IT! lol!! Of course, I’m going to have to put down the one I’m drinking right now… 🙂

• March 3, 2012 at 2:09 am

This is just what I need to hear! My belly is my problem area, I don’t drink Diet Dr P but I do drink diet coke! But no more! You saved me from more muffin top! Thank you!
    Debbie

• March 3, 2012 at 2:10 am

I quit drinking soda b4 I got married and lost 20lbs. I keep telling the hubba hubba that if he would quit he would feel better but he wont believe me. I am gonna have him read this! Thank you so much for posting! Congrats!!!

• April 21, 2015 at 1:46 pm

I do not drink any soda’s any way, but I do put splenda in my tea and coffee. Over the last 3-4 years, I have noticed that I am gaining weight even though I have changed the way I cook and what I eat. I exercise as much as I can, because I have a bad back, (rods,pins and wires) so I can’t do a lot, but I walk on my treadmill, and ride my bike and yet I can’t seem to lose the belly fat! So it may well be the artificial sweetener!

• March 3, 2012 at 2:10 am

It’s easy to quit drinking diet soda. I’ve done it many times! Diet Dr Pepper is my only vice. I know you’re probably right. I’m going to try quitting…..again.

• March 3, 2012 at 2:12 am

It is precisely because I love Dr. Pepper that we NEVER have it in the house! Seriously, though, there are so many things I just don’t ever buy because we have very little self-control! LOL! I’m pretty sure though that drinking as much coffee as I do isn’t helping me in the “jiggling” department so that might be something I will have to begrudgingly take a look at. Ugh! Thanks so much for putting this out there my friend!
    Vanessa

• March 3, 2012 at 5:19 am

I think coffee is good isn’t it? I think it is just artificial sweeteners. Keep your coffee! I am so tired of the jiggling. Aren’t you? Love, Me

• March 3, 2012 at 2:13 am

I read your post to Mr. B. as we have been fighting the battle of the bulge in epic proportions ourselves. He immediately exclaimed “that’s it!!”! We have just a couple of diet pops in the fridge and once they are gone (by the end of the weekend) we will buy no more. We will be switching to iced tea, no sugar, no artificial sweetener. Thanks for such an eye-opening post!

• March 3, 2012 at 2:16 am

I don’t drink diet soda – but am still a Fatty McFatty! I think all sugar – real or artificial really makes our appetites increase. But dammit – I can’t give up my Hot Tamales!
    Kelly

• March 3, 2012 at 2:18 am

Oh dear god I thought you were going to say wine…. {takes a sip} … as long as you didn’t say wine, I’m behind ya!
    I actually don’t drink diet soda… just wine, coffee and red bull. hmmm wonder if they effect me the same way? I did kinda have a huge melt down the other morning that none of my clothes fit and I was gaining weight.

I don’t think you’ll get the backlash as you think, it’s a smart post. and a very smart decision for you guys! congrats on losing weight 🙂

Pamela
    PBJstories.com

• March 3, 2012 at 2:22 am

eat real stuff!!! that is what your body needs to run right so if you give it fake stuff you are not fooling your body at all… fake stuff is not digested and therefore …. not eliminated… just hanging out somewhere in your body and who knows what mischief it is up to when it gets together with more fake stuff…. remember fake fats… lots of gas was building up in the intestinal tract of those who ate those chips… eat real stuff and drink real stuff … the closer it is to having come from the ground the better…
    Do not be afraid…. you will feel and look better and your clothes will fit better!!

• March 3, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Costco hot dogs count if you are prepping for a colonoscopy and this is the day you have to give up fruits, veggies, nuts … anything with fiber… oh no… is ketchup a vegetable??
      And Vodka .. i knew there was something about you that I liked but could not pin it down… yes of course it is going to count…they make it from potatoes don’t they!! and back to the prep for the procedure… it is a clear liquid!

• March 3, 2012 at 2:38 am

I was just learning about the paleo diet today at a party – eat what cave men ate, in a nutshell. Or, no processed foods (no ketchup, no bread, no cheese, no pasteurized milk). I personally think it’s a little extreme, but the idea is good, in moderation. I know sugar has calories, but I usually stick with the real sugar stuff over the diet stuff because the diet stuff has all sorts of fake-ness in it, and the lack of calories is..misleading. Good for you for quitting the diet soda and losing weight!! I need to get exercising and lose my own muffin top. 🙂

• March 3, 2012 at 4:11 am

Hubby and I have been on a paleo type diet since October. He lost 40 and I lost 50 by Thanksgiving, and have kept it off… And yea, no diet soar allowed lol

• March 3, 2012 at 5:26 am

We could be accountability partners! Find a 5k in your area and I will find one in mine…..we could make ourselves get ready for it! May have more readers that want to get in on the band wagon! Let me know. Love, Me

• March 3, 2012 at 4:20 am

I had complained to my doctor about gaining weight and then started tracking everything that went in my mouth. I realized that I was drinking most of my calories and had never realized it before. I think I am going to start drinking more water and unsweetened flavored tea. I like your blog…thanks for reminding me of how to lose this weight!

• March 3, 2012 at 4:21 am

I have run once since my last 5k in December…now I have one March 18th. Ugh. I better get busy! I don’t drink much diet anything…or regular soda or juice. Well, maybe occasionally I have juice in a cocktail…but just occasionally. I drink coffee with creamer in the am and water. Now, if I could stop eating I’d be thin!!!

• March 3, 2012 at 5:27 am

Isn’t it frustrating working so hard and not being thin? I am not ready for even a 5k right now. I have to get my hiney back in gear! Good luck on the 18th! Love, Me

• March 3, 2012 at 5:22 am

I totally agree. I also agree with Mechael, that people generally drink a lot more calories and “fat makers” then they realize. I am very careful about that these days. I’d much rather get my calories from good, and good FOR me food, than waste it on a drink. And as someone else mentioned, I had read about diet drinks actually causing weight gain as well. In fact, I think I read that ultimately it is better to just drink the non-diet sodas. Of course, the best drink is water and that’s what I stick to except on special occassions. Good luck and good for you!

• March 3, 2012 at 5:28 am

Molly, you are so much more disciplined than me! I need to drink more water. Wonder how green tea would be as a substitute for regular tea? love, Me

• March 3, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Republican or Democrat ~ funny! I thought that will bring a stir for sure. Yup, sugar sweeteners are so bad for you. Have had my chiropractor (who says there is formaldehyde in the aspartme – you know, the embalming stuff, and Dr. Mercola’s wesbsite also swears off them. Has scared me to not drink the fake stuff and now I have given up real pop (or soda in your parts) AND chocolate AND games on FB for Lent. I’m going crazy ~ maybe I should try vodka and wine. (Yes, green tea is good.)

• March 3, 2012 at 2:54 pm

You ever notice how Fatty McFatty’s always order DIET soda’s??? Your post was awesome, I enjoyed it, but it’s not new news to me, so I’m still with you on this one. Diet Dr. Pepper can’t be singled out though, I also love Dr. Pepper. Artificial sweetener in soda is a bad idea. Well, in large amounts anyway. I know one thin person who regularly drinks diet soda and he runs a gazillion miles. He is a tri-athlete, not a normal person.

• March 3, 2012 at 6:49 pm

Check the can….Diet Coke has calories! Coke Zero has none. That’s why Pepsi is now coming out with a “lower calorie” drink!

• March 3, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Actually, about ten years ago I stopped drinking soda (for a different reason) and as a result, not intended, I lost ten pounds! Now I can only drink about 3 sips of the stuff and I’m done, too sweet and tastes funny to me. Fast food joints are shocked when you don’t want a “meal” which always includes soda. Then I also found out how much soda eats away at your enamel and bones and wished I had quit sooner with all my lovely cavities! All great reasons not to drink it. Lightbulb moments eh?
    I am a soda nazi with my grandkids. They are not impressed lol.

• March 3, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Diet soda…artificial sweeteners, all bad! Better off skipping soda and drinking tea with real sugar or honey! I was surrounded by fitness buffs and natural food eaters when I lived in Colorado and they all had the same opinion on that. Makes sense to me. Most artificial sweeteners are man made. That cant possibly be good for us!

• March 3, 2012 at 6:46 pm

Yeppers! You are right, it was the diet soda. I had a lap band procedure a couple of years ago and that was one of the BIG things they said: NO DIET DRINKS. No diet anything! If you drink flavored water…check for artificial sweetners! It’s everywhere! And they also said it DOES make you feel hungry! So girl, what cost me (well, my insurance company) thousands, you figured out on your own. I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again…you are BRILLIANT!

• March 3, 2012 at 7:15 pm

I remember a lot written about this a long time ago. i stopped drinking any soda because it is bad for your bones…it actually leaches the calcium. Soda, no thank you. Thanks for making others aware of this.

♥charlotte

• March 3, 2012 at 8:15 pm

I have been slowly replacing my 2-3 Diet Coke’s a day with straight green tea. I DO NOT get caffeine headaches, which was my concern with quitting my Diet addiction. I LOOOOOVE my Diet but I’m also physically ADDICTED to it!! I quit smoking cold turkey 5 months ago, but that was easier than giving up my Diet Coke!!

• March 4, 2012 at 1:44 am

Reb, I gained weight everywhere, but especially my belly. And I swallowed (pardon the pun) the beverage/sweetener industries claims. Weight Watchers does and look at the success they claim! My PCP told me I’d be better off drinking regular sugared soda if I have to have soda than drinking artificially sweeteened. But water would be best. I’ve read articles of the damage artificial sweeteners do to your central nervous system, mood, etc. I now drink seltzer with no sweetener because wierdo I am, my throat feels drier with plain water. With carbonation, even just seltzer, I get thirst relief. And a quart bottle helps me track fluid intake. You are right on. Keep up the good work.

• March 4, 2012 at 3:37 am

OMG! I thought I was the only one (crazy one) who feels like my throat is actually drier at times. I drink lots and lots of water, especially at work, and my throat feels dry a lot! I will try drinking seltzer and see if that does the trick. Thanks so much for posting this!

• March 4, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Hilarious. My mother in law (a nurse) has been telling me that about Splenda for a while now. I’m so bummed. I had thought (hoped/prayed/etc) that it wasn’t true. Jokes on me. Thanks for sharing! Loved it!
    Melody

• March 5, 2012 at 12:05 am

Rebecca, I have only one thing to say about any and all artificial sweeteners. When my mom was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer our family was told never to eat them. This DOC said even if you have a cola once in a while it is far better than the chemicals. I’m not a believer in anything artificial. I fill my grocery cart with fresh food. If it has chemicals I don’t buy it.

• March 5, 2012 at 1:57 am

Well, you are so right, much as I don’t wanna admit it!! I go off and on Diet Coke a lot, but the belly fat thing is the first thing that’s kinda got to me. When I’m off I buy flavored sparkling water….I think I’m going to try to make it permanent this time. …..sigh…..thank you very much..it’s a sad time but I think better times are ahead!! 🙂

• March 5, 2012 at 2:14 am

I totally agree. I just don’t believe in artificial anything!

• March 5, 2012 at 10:20 pm

Hi there – I am new to your blog – love it so far! Just wanted to say I think you hit the nail on the head! It’s the “Diet” that’s the problem, and not just for your waistline. I noticed after abandoning my Diet Coke habit that everything felt better – tummy is decreasing in size, legs and ankles aren’t swollen (a previous problem the docs couldn’t explain!)and I don’t seem to feel as “foggy” as I did. Did a little research on aspartame – the stuff is nasty and causes all kinds of problems for us from gastrointestinal issues (bloating, yuck) to inflamation of joints. No wonder I felt so bad. Well, I’m off it now and feeling better every day. Hope you and the hubs feel better too! :~)

• March 6, 2012 at 4:06 am

Great post! Is Truvia or Stevia something that can be used to sweeten drinks?

Cheri

• March 8, 2012 at 6:36 am

Ha! I stopped by your blog from over At the Picket Fence because your blog title made me laugh … saw your “controversial post” title and thought “I’ll read that next” … then I forgot and clicked away … but had to come back to see what the controversy was :o) Now I just wish I drank Diet Dr.Pepper so I could quit it and lose some belly fat!