New Craigslist Chairs!

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you guys! I have been busy getting my tax information ready for my accountant. Why did I let my paperwork get so behind?BUT

If you have been following on Facebook you would know that I found my new living room chairs on Craigslist!
I will get right to the pics. You have waited long enough.
But then…wait until you hear what a deal!Wah lah!!!

Ok…before I share closer pics….
Remember the new colors that I am wanting to implement into my living room that I shared on this post?
I shared that I want to re-decorate my living room, with this color scheme, on a really tiny budget.

A REALLY tiny budget of $200.00.

That would include curtains, furniture and paint.

GULP

Even I knew that might be tough but I knew I could do it. It would just take patience.

So, let’s talk budget first.

Book room set sold for $500.00 to a really sweet couple.

I know many of you wanted me to keep but I really didn’t have the room. Making this room into a guest room wouldn’t have allowed the space for the armoire to stay. This room is REALLY tiny.

The two “uncomfortable” living room chairs sold for $300.00.

So, selling these two items gave me $800.00 and I had my original $200.00.

That is $1,000.00 to work with to redecorate my living room AND make a new guest room.

Eeek!

A challenge I am trying to accomplish!

So, back to my chairs.

The seller had advertised them as “NEW AND NOT USED” custom made furniture from Calico Corners. They were from an eviction. Someone had rented a house from her father. Fully furnished it with luxury, new items and never lived in it or ever paid rent. Really weird situation. They searched him down…he was alive but they had to go through the eviction process and were selling his stuff to try to get back what he owed. (I found out all of that when we picked them up) She stated that they were in storage and their research showed they had been purchased for $1250.00 originally. Before I get to what she was asking and what I eventually got them for…..let’s get into my research. I wasn’t really sure if I believed the $1250.00 price, so I went to Calico’s site.

Wait until you see the color “pallette” that is on their landing page.
I was like, “You.Have.Got.To.Be.Kidding.”

I clicked on the chairs.

And she wasn’t off on her price but I noticed this little blurb after the dollar amount.

JENNA’S CHAIR

Frame price: $1199Plus cost of fabric. That didn’t include FABRIC!

JENNA'S CHAIR
So…..I looked more around the site. This is the color pallet that greeted me on the landing page. The fabric on HER chairs, I couldn’t find the exact one. You may be able to. The blue one on the bottom left is the one on the accent pillows.

DESIGNER FABRICS FOR THE HOME
This was the closest I could find……but believe it or not….I think the fabric on this chair is a higher line of fabric. I just didn’t want to brag too much. ; )

DESARU DENIM

This fabric is $34.39 a yard and the chair stated that it would need 14 yards. That is $481.46 worth of fabric. I’m sure there would be other charges of labor as well.
So…$1250.00 for chair and $500.00 worth of fabric. That would be ONE chair would have cost originally around $2,000.00. That doesn’t even count the fact that I THINK her fabric is from the higher lines.

Dang diddly dang…….

So, she stated that they were originally $1250.00 and she was asking $750.00 a chair.
$1500.00 for the pair!!!!

CRAP.

Way out of my budget but so worth it.

So, I emailed her. “Hello, your chairs are beautiful. They are well worth what you are asking but out of my budget. If by chance, you are unable to sell and would consider $500.00 for the pair, would you please contact me? I appreciate your consideration.” (It was FREAKING me out paying $500.00 for a pair of chairs but I knew these were quality and well worth it)

I expected a “Heck no, crazy lady!”

But I received this. “We would consider $750.00”.

I hemmed and hawed….contemplated what else I could sell. Contemplated raising my budget. Talked to you guys about them on Facebook.

But in the end, I just couldn’t justify the expense.

So, I emailed her back. “That is such a good deal but still out of my budget, I am sorry. If they do not sell, please let me know if you will consider the $500.00”

She responded……

“Sure. I will give them a few weeks and if they do not sell. I will give you a shout back.”

I knew they were going to be sold but I was ok. I knew something else would show up.

So, in the meantime, I started selling my stuff to supplement my $200.00 budget. I chased down a few other chairs and didn’t really find anything.

Last week I emailed the “Blue lady” chair ad again and said….”Just a reminder that I would be willing to pay $500.00 for the pair if they haven’t sold.” I was a little nervous about sending that and felt pushy. I got the reply, “I am in Miami right now but will talk with my family. If they agree, then I will let you know and we can arrange a time for you to pick up.”

YAY!

EEK!

I was paying more for chairs than I have ever in my life!

But I was excited.

She threw in the two down pillows below that she said “didn’t really match the chairs.”

They didn’t match because they were “accent” pillows!!! AND the quality…..UN-REAL.

They made my TJ Maxx, green pillow, look a little pitiful. : )

The quality and comfort of the chairs…..I can’t even begin to tell you.

My son came home after school…the one who cannot stand change….and wrapped himself in a blanket and fell deep asleep in them. We all love them.

So…I am on the path to change.

Right now….I have only spent $500.00 out of my $1000.00.

Still have to paint, find pinch-pleated-lined drapes and need two other chairs to replace these.

I may re-upholster them myself. I am not sure….they have custom off-white slip covers under the chenille blankets but they do not go with my “new” decor. I may try to sell them on Craigslist and add that little stash to my cash.

AND I have to finish furnishing a guest bedroom with the same budget.

I’m almost there in the guest bedroom, believe it or not and have only spent $75.00.  So, technically I have spent $575.00.

When I was picking up the chairs, I asked the young lady if she was selling anything else. She said yes….an entertainment center. Smaller chest on legs. Unusual style and gorgeous. I knew from the quality it would be too high for me and then she said…..for $75.00!!!!!!!! You heard me people. A leg had been broken and glued back, so she was selling for $75.00.

Perfect for guest room! I will share that picture in a bit.

So, to make up for not posting in a couple of days, I have made this the longest post in history.

You are welcome!

I have to find the PERFECT lined, custom made, pinch pleated drapes for under $200.00. FIVE panels! Think I can do it?

I will of course keep you informed along the way!

Like the chairs?

Asleep?

Tired of hearing me talk about them?

Miss hearing from you guys!

I’m linking up to:

0 thoughts on “New Craigslist Chairs!

• March 8, 2012 at 2:40 pm

I LOVE these chairs! They are fabulous! I could never get my husband to go for a print like that but they are stunning! And $500? WAY TO GO!

• March 8, 2012 at 3:01 pm

Beautiful chairs! I love it when things work out like that! It was meant to be…

• March 8, 2012 at 6:15 pm

The new chairs are Ka-Ute. I love them and they are YOU =) The budget is in good shape too. Can’t wait to see anything new you add.

• March 8, 2012 at 6:15 pm

Congratulations on your score! They are beautiful and I am very happy for you. Can’t wait to see the other guest room piece!

• March 8, 2012 at 7:53 pm

What a deal on the new chairs! And they’re beautiful. Have you considered dyeing the off-white chairs that still need to be replaced?

• March 8, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Wowweeee!!! What a fantastic find!! The chairs are lovely and the price – unreal!! I’m looking forward to the next installment of your project!! 🙂

• March 8, 2012 at 9:13 pm

Those are gorgeous Rebecca!! What an amazing score and they look perfect in your room. Way to go!!
    Vanessa

• March 9, 2012 at 1:57 am

WOW!!!! And people say I’m a good shopper. Gorgeous chairs, can’t wait to see the rest of the miracles you pull off. I never go to Craigslist. Gotta change that I guess. Decided on your wall color? Love the pallet you’ve chosen.
    JealousJanet

• March 9, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Wow! I don’t think I would have had to nerve to ask if they would accept $500 for the pair – but then you never know if you don’t ask! Great score!
    Hugs-
    Carol@arewethereyet

• March 9, 2012 at 10:23 pm

You got a great deal – I buy tons of stuff off Craig’s List. Can’t wait to see the rest!

• March 11, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Waaah. I wud hv paid more for the uncomfortable chairs&shipped. 🙁 so much for having flu & lurking 2mos. Waaah. Snivel …blue ones purty &heckuva deal!

• March 12, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Those chairs are GORGEOUS!!! and you can tell the quality even from the photos…loooks like you could just live in them, and be snuggled like a cloud, LOL! I love comfy furniture like that. I also <3 Carigslist, I stalk it frequently, and I hardly ever pay the advertised price. I have been told that when people list prices, they are building in a bit of leeway for negotiation.... so I always ask :o) Unless they are just giving things away, then my guilt kicks in, and I actually gave one lady a few more dollars for a table, because it was so nice and her price was too low.... Ah, the whacky crazy world of thrifting.

• March 13, 2012 at 3:09 am

Beautiful chairs, when I was looking for a pair I did really want the Jenna from Calico Corners. Your right a very comfortable chairs, but like you wouldn’t go for 2 chairs over $1500. So you are one very LUCKY girl. Love the pattern on the chairs. They were so worth $500. Thanks for showing us how and for sharing sharing your creative inspiration at Sunday’s Best!

• March 29, 2012 at 12:56 am

You scored big time! Okay, I’ve read several stories and decided I want to keep up with what you are going to do in your room. Love the color palatte that you have chosen. My next project is tackling my living room, getting rid of my RED accent wall (what was I thinkiing 6 years ago) and going with a ligher color palette. My plan is to paint my fireplace mantel white. Can’t see new furniture in my budget so I have to decorate around red couches.

I’m following along now! I’m a new follower.

• March 29, 2012 at 12:57 am

Really, I won spelling bee contests in junior high and high school. I really don’t spell this bad, I’m on my I-pad.

• March 29, 2012 at 2:31 am

Sandy, you are cracking me up! My i-phone and it’s memorized texting make me a hideous speller! I appreciate your spelling bee talents! You are too cute! Love, Me

• November 19, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Ack! Love your chairs – especially the color! About a year ago, I found a pair of down chairs, custom upholstered, in absolutely perfect condition, at a local thrift store. But, I couldn’t find a brand/store tag on them. I found out from a fabric store that the fabric on them sold for $65 a yard. They look almost exactly like your chairs, except for the way the front of the arms are finished. After reading this post, I wonder if they could be from Calico Corner too? If so, I am pinching myself over only having paid $19 for each one! (the only downside is that they are predominantly pink – not a color I have going on in my house). I’m going to take a picture to the store and see if they can say whether they came from them. Either way, I love them!