DIY Vortex

I feel like I have been sucked into a DIY vortex.

A DIY nightmare of sorts.

One where the “after” is worse than the before.

Where nothing that I attempt seems to blend…… or fit…or work together.

A vortex where I start remembering after starting this project that over ten years ago I had tried the same thing to no avail.

And a vortex where my “four year old” version of myself, failed to remind my 41 year old self, that she is sitting on the futon in the same room because a bed does not fit there. That she tried putting a bed in this room before and hated it.

A vortex where I begin to remember that in order to get an entertainment center to even open, I have to push the bed so far towards the windows that my guests could tan while trying to get some sleep.

A vortex where I realize that there is a big chunk out of my sheetrock, so I have to just put a big cross over it, because the chunk is vertical and horizontal.

A vortex where the big cross and bare wall are giving the room the feeling of a monastery or Buffy the Vampire Slayers bedroom.

A vortex where my guests can shut the door with their toe and turn the tv on with their nose, all while tanning in the sunshine from the window and in the view of anyone entering the front door.

Let alone the vortex where the bed is so low that one has to paint the bed risers to hopefully blend with the frame and allow extra storage beneath it.

A DIY vortex from H-E-Double-Toothipicks.

Yes, I just wrote that.

And I totally blame this dang, sleepy headed, no wrinkled, no makeup, no melanoma’d, 25 year old version of myself that could have warned me not to attempt this project 15 years later.

This vortex seriously “sucks”.

Have you ever been there?

Ever experienced the vortex?

The one where the after is worse than the before?

The moment where you think, “What in the ha-yeck whas I thinking?”

Please tell me it isn’t just me.

Don’t make me live in this vortex alone.

0 thoughts on “DIY Vortex

• March 11, 2012 at 2:44 am

oh girl you are singing my song! I have stenciled, painted, repainted, stenciled, painted, stenciled the ceiling my powder room and still HATE IT!! It’s a nightmare, and I so relate to your post! I guess we’re due these everyone once and awhile for all of the fabulous project that turn out amazing. 😉 Hang in there I know you’ll figure something spectacular out and your 25 year old self will be so impressed. hehe!

Heather

• March 12, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Heather, I actually thought of you. I remembered you writing something on your FB page about having to repaint a stenciled project. And what the heck was I thinking painting something gray and expecting it to blend with my yellow walls. I think I am being hit with the realization that the yellow has to go before I attempt anything else. UGH. Good luck on our powder room! Love, Me

• March 11, 2012 at 3:46 am

I have been in that same vortex! As a matter of fact, today, I started “fixing” one of my “great ideas”! Sleep it off, I’m sure tomorrow will bring you better ideas and if it doesn’t you can day dream of torching the room with all of its contents like I have considered with my kitchen 🙂 hahahaha. Good luck.

• March 12, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Tracy, their room is precious! Just reading it lets me know that I am going to have to face the fact that I am going to have to paint my walls before I can really accomplish any re-do’s. UGH! I hate painting! Thanks for the link. Love, Me

• March 11, 2012 at 4:27 am

I have a table vortex- I’ve refinished it and re-refinished it. Thought it was done, but no, it has come back to haunt me. Some day I will be able to recover enough to post about it again….

• March 11, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Have you seen my breakfast room windows? Measured right but bought the wrong size-so they’re 5″ too short. The roosters might have been cute except to hide the gap I lined my collection of mugs on the windowsill. Now it looks busy. Ah well, at least I can live w it.

• March 12, 2012 at 2:14 pm

Oh, you poor baby. I actually went to your blog to find that post and couldn’t find it. I loved browsing through everything you have going on though. Send me your link so I can join you in your “vortex”. : ) I canNOT live with my monastery, vampire slayer, guest bedroom. ; ) Love, Me

• March 11, 2012 at 4:33 pm

Aaaaahhhhhh yes, the Vortex!! I think it’s sucked us all in at some point!! 🙂

We lived in a town home years ago and our bedroom was kinda large and had an awkward alcove that was behind the door when you opened it and maybe 18″ deep. I kept trying things over the years and at one point had settled on a loveseat there. It stuck out but I liked the “idea” of a reading nook. Well, one day I had had enough of the door not opening fully because of the loveseat so I decided it needed to go back downstairs. I couldn’t even wait for my husband to come home I was so annoyed so I decided to do it on my own. Well, needless to say, a few hours later my husband arrives home to find me scrambling over the loveseat now wedged halfway down the stairs!! 🙂

A year or so later I was tired of the dresser in the alcove cuz it was lame so I thought having a reading nook would be nice again as our daughter was a bit older and we could cuddle and read. We got it loveseat back up there….I immediately remembered why I ended up hating it before but didn’t have the heart to tell my hubby!! lol!!!! So, I let it go for a few months…long enough to give it a good go…dresser went back and stayed there until we moved!!!

• March 12, 2012 at 2:15 pm

This cracked me up and I can soooooo sympathize. I have thought about this comment so much since you posted it. Soooo funny! Thank you for sharing. Love, Me

• March 11, 2012 at 4:38 pm

Yes, I have been there.
    I “thought” I would paint the master bath, after I painted it, it looked awful.
    so I “thought ” I would do it just a little different color.
    Now worse,
    I “thought” I know the right color!
    Now even worst and
    knowing that I could have a nerves brake down from painting this bath I painted it back the original color,,, no “thought” about it.
    Five years later every time I go in there and “think’ about painting it my hackles go up! LOL
    Enough of my drama, did you get her back??????

• March 12, 2012 at 2:18 pm

Becky, I can sooo relate. About the table. Did you know that I think about you daily Becky? Probably about ten times a day actually. BECAUSE….I am forcing myself to NOT call the store and see if my table has sold! IT is killing me but I need the income worse than the table. Even as I am writing this, my phone is begging me to pick it up! You do realize you are a good/bad bloggy friend don’t you? ; ) We so need to shop together. You would justify ALL of my purchases! I am planning a road trip to Atlanta soon to a great store that Southern Hospitality shared. Don’t you want to make your way to Georgia? You would be just the person that I would want to ask….”Should I buy this?”. Just know you are daily in my thoughts!
      : ) Love, Me

• March 11, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Been there done that. Have heard that huge sucking sound as it goes down the toilet. I saw a great idea on one blog–a notebook with pix. What. Worked great & what did the toilet. Am gonna use that. Anyone care to join me? 😉

• March 14, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Boy do I feel your pain! I SO understand what you’re going through! I think most of us do that are stuck with small rooms and big dreams! You’ll get it though!
    Melody

• May 30, 2012 at 6:37 pm

Ah, small rooms, big dreams. Small budgets, big dreams. Starting a project and then going back to the Home Despot 15x in the next 48 hours and then just giving up and settling for a glass of wine instead. I don’t mind getting a tan while sleeping. In our guest room, the bed is so close to the wall, you have to turn sideways to squeeze in and sit down, and then stare at the wall, 12 inches away from your face. But I love my old crazy house!