Thrift store mirror to cafe chalkboard

Before you start complaining.

It has been a LONG time since I have posted a thrift store mirror to chalkboard project.

I know I did it here, here and here….but that was ages ago!

And I couldn’t help myself.

I had to share this one with you.

You will thank me. I promise.

What do you do with a bu-gly, $3.00, thrift-store, pretend wood, old dresser mirror?

Isn’t she pretty?

Tall and regal.

This is the before.

Hey Becca Roo!

The mirror is about 4 foot tall.

And it made my ankles look like “ca-nkles” and my butt look fat. I knew when I saw my reflection, that the mirror must be broken and made into a chalkboard. : )

This fake wood, scroll work, needed painting and distressing!

LOVE!

What does this remind you of?

Do you know what I’m talking about?

I’m talking about this……

Armoire

Belle’s armoire.

Do you see it?

I loved that movie………

It also reminded me of this……

I have a feeling the style must be the “Beauty and the Beast” style.

Think I would make it on HGTV with my description of the style?

Here is a reminder of the “before”.

And the “after”…….

You can’t blame me for sharing it now, can you?

The CeCe’s paint adhered to the “fake” wood without sanding or priming AND the details showed up so pretty with the light distressing. The “Rustoleum” chalk board paint was painted right on the mirror, like before.

Without the white paint it looks more like the clock in Beauty and the Beast.

Just-so-you-know.

In.Love.

And do I even dare say, that I am also in love with the white and black contrasting colors?

I.Do.Dare.Say.

I love it!

It is my first white framed chalkboard.

Let me know your thoughts!

It will be making it’s way to “Beaches” soon.

I will miss it!

Are you still passing those bu-gly, cheap mirrors?

What are you waiting for?

PS. I’m linking up to:

0 thoughts on “Thrift store mirror to cafe chalkboard

• March 21, 2012 at 3:54 am

BUT…. you must make them over when you are THAT good at it. So flipping cute. And the little peek of Becca Roo too. Love the Disney references. hehe. I do see it. I do.

Great job. Again 😉

• March 21, 2012 at 10:33 am

I am fairly new to your blog…which I love! I have a huge, really dark, heavy wooden mirror, and you have inspired me to turn it into a chalkboard. We have entirely too many mirrors already, and I adore chalkboards! What did you use for the backing, or did you just paint over the mirror? May be a silly question, but I have only painted with chalk paint on a wall. And…it seriously does remind me of Beauty and the Beast!

Thanks so much!

Jessica @ Mom 4 Real

• March 21, 2012 at 11:47 am

I do paint right to the mirror Jessica but pretty important that you try that with the Rustoleum chalk board paint in a can. You can see it in the other chalkboard posts that I lined back to in this post. It is thinner. I do three coats and it has never given me a problem. I have one in my home that I change constantly. I erase with a damp paper cloth. It got a little dingy after almost a year and I just swiped one more coat over it to freshen it up. I tried this with the Valspar chalkboard paint and it was a nightmare. Super, super thick so I thought would be great. It peeled totally off. I then just put CeCe’s paint down first on the mirror as a primer and then used the Valspar and it was fine. Yesterday when I would changed the writing, I used a damp paper cloth to erase. Too much information? ; ) I’m so glad you are here. Can you tell. ; ) Love, Me

• March 23, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Oh…you are so sweet to really explain it to me this well! And, I do love you! Thank you soooo much! Have a great weekend!

Jessica

• March 26, 2012 at 2:21 pm

Nice. I never thought about painting right over the mirror. Wrong post, but I’m glad you are taking time off with family before your nephews leave. I remember like it was yesterday when my son (and family) went through all of those times. God Bless ’em.

• March 21, 2012 at 11:00 am

That is fabulous… great job. And, is there such a thing as too many chalkboard conversions? I dare say NO! Blessings

• March 21, 2012 at 11:41 am

I love it…wish I lived close to Beaches because it would come home with me!

• March 21, 2012 at 2:42 pm

WOW….I love this. Personally I think your Beauty and the Beast references were spot on…….HGTV better offer you a hosting job. :o)

• March 21, 2012 at 4:31 pm

You have such neat ideas! This is such a lovely chalk board. You could have a decorating show for Disney if HGTV does not call soon (ha). Love your blog!

• March 21, 2012 at 5:56 pm

I love love love it!! I work for Disney so I totally get the similarity. 😉

• March 21, 2012 at 8:08 pm

It’s so pretty!!! Maybe you could pitch an HGTV-type show for the Disney channel??

I’ll never look at plastic stuff the same way again!! Who would have thought you could make that stuff pretty???? YOU!! You genius you!! 🙂

• March 22, 2012 at 6:10 am

It’s a darn pretty chalkboard a la Reb*Belle, but I am weird & when I first saw the “before” my first thought was “oooo an almost-ready-made” trumeau mirror! Just needed one of my flat salvage doors, some purty moldings & paint du jour! Good eye for the possible as always m’dear!

• March 22, 2012 at 1:38 pm

I LOVE it. I’ve seen some old mirrors like this (not quite as cool but cool enough) at Habitat and never picked one up. I am totally grabbing one next time and copying the heck out of you!

• March 23, 2012 at 11:34 am

Nice work!
    I did exactly the same thing, with an old mirror I found in a reclamation yard. I painted the frame white.
    I wasn’t even aware that there was such a think as chalkboard paint until I saw it in the store which gave me the idea to do this.

• March 24, 2012 at 2:21 am

Cankles no more – that mirror deserved black chalkboard paint on it! How dare it reflect such a horrible (although untrue) image back to you!

Love it and super easy — hope you’re planning on linking this up to our It’s a Cinch party on 3/27!

Now you just need a Chip and Mrs. Potts and you’re all set!
    Kelly

• March 27, 2012 at 4:48 pm

I looove it!! I’m so going to have to try this now. I was looking at the mirror on Mom4Real and followed her link to this blog and now I NEED to follow you!! LOL I love your blog too!! I can’t wait until I can go to my thrift store and find a cool old fugly mirror to paint! LOL 😀 I’ve got a new blog so this would be a great thing to make and post about!! I have so many friends that are wanting to do this!

• March 27, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Hmmmm….I’m thinking this might be a good idea for a message board by the front door for anyone that comes to visit while we are away….or messages for delivery, etc. Thanks!!!

• March 28, 2012 at 12:32 am

so loving your chalkboard. I’m painting stuff white like crazy, but am afraid (down right scared) to distress and age it. Can you tell what stain you used to give it that blackish look on the distressing? thanks in advance. love your blog and am a follower.

• March 28, 2012 at 12:42 am

I LOVE this mirror. Meant to leave you a comment when I got it via email. You do such fabulous stuff! This is perfect! 🙂 Featuring you!
    Melody
    One Chatty Chic

• March 28, 2012 at 3:18 am

There is so much that can be done with mirrors. Yours is so awesome. I’d love to have it, as I don’t have any mirrors in our house, not.
    I will definitely be looking at bu.. mirrors differently from now on. I miss alot of the good stuff at our local thrift store as it opens on Wed. a.m. and alot of people are there early. If they want something you have in your hands they’ll almost literally grab it and run to the front to pay. I don’t care to committ murder for something so I stay away til maybe Friday to see what’s left. Sigh. I’m getting too old to fight for thrift store bargains.

• March 30, 2012 at 12:46 am

love it

and yes
    i see the resemblance
    to that b&b armoire

thanks for sharing at Fridays Unfolded!

alison

• March 31, 2012 at 1:22 am

this is beautiful! I would not have thought to turn a mirror into a chalkboard! fantastic idea!

• April 5, 2012 at 2:01 am

LOVE your cafe chalkboard! I have been looking and looking for one of these to redo. 🙁
    I sort of found one a couple of weeks ago, but I couldn’t make up my mind. When I went back to get it-it was gone. 🙁
    Love the way yours turned out!
    thanks so much for sharing at catch as catch can.
    gail

• April 27, 2013 at 12:02 am

Can the rustoleum chalkboard spray paint be used straight to the mirror? I forgot to buy primer, but I saw some people used it straight to their mirror. Is that how you did it? How many coats?
    Thanks!

• April 27, 2013 at 7:51 am

I do always paint right on the mirror. I think I mention that in this post. Or, you may want to check out my spray paint vs. canned chalkboard paint post. That may help you a little bit more with the spray paint. It is spot lighted right now in the chalkboard posts that flash across the screen in the right side bar. I do three coats of either spray. Have fun and can’t wait to hear how it comes out! XOXO!

• June 17, 2013 at 9:42 am

You are aw-some!! Thanks so much!!!

• August 29, 2013 at 3:41 am

Great Ideas! I just bought a Picture frame for my Dance Studio, now I know what to do with it! Thank for the tips on the Valspar Paint, i was going to buy annie Sloane…very pricey to do 2, 20×20 walls! 😉