New velvet chairs

I am taking my living room transformation in steps.

Baby steps to some.

Affordable steps to me.

You saw my two Craigslist chairs.

And I found two other Craigslist chairs, to replace my old slip-covered ones.

So, I am getting a little closer to my “transformation”.

The wall color and window treatments will be changing soon.

As soon as I can get my rear in gear, that is.

The chairs were 100.00 each. They were asking 175.00 each. They are velvet and like new. Extremely nice quality and I cannot remember what they said they paid for them. I haven’t even looked for the name brand. I had to drive to Charleston to pick them up. I didn’t take my trailer thinking they were smaller. When I saw them I knew I was in trouble. The sweet lady selling them was a new young mother. She lived in a gorgeous home and for once in my life……I felt a little po-dunk. Po-dunk because she was sweetly struggling to help me carry these chairs to my small suv and they were not going in after trying for about 15 minutes. I finally decided to try them upside down. That worked by us getting in the car and struggling to pull them in and “piggy back” them. She was carrying her nursery monitor to make sure her sleeping baby didn’t wake up as she was trying to help me load my chairs. I felt like a dork. Then upon leaving I stepped in their huge dog bowl and soaked my left leg and shoe. We were carrying the second chair and you could hear the splashing and bowl upturn. She kept saying, in a muffled voice from the other side of the huge chair, that she was so sorry and should have put her dog bowl up. I kept saying, in a muffled voice from the other side of the chair, that no…I was sorry etc. It was a HEE-UGE bowl of water. I didn’t see a great dane anywhere but I don’t know what kind of dog they must have been watering. My leg was soaked to about my knee, no lie, and my shoe was squishing. I sheepishly paid her, as she sweetly said that we both had our morning work out and offered me paper towels. I thanked her and she sweetly called me “mam” which sealed the deal. I was an old, po-dunk, dork.

But at least I have my chairs.

What do you think my next step should be?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

I would love to hear your ideas!

0 thoughts on “New velvet chairs

• March 22, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Love the new chairs! Can’t wait to see the next step. Is the rug going as well?

• March 22, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Rebecca, You can tell a lot of things from photos that you might not pick up just looking at the room.
    Maybe this is included in your design already, if not think about it if there is enough space.
    The wall with the fire place and the hutch is to heavy so to balance it out put the hutch on the wall behind the blue chairs. leaving only enough room to walk between(Pottery Barnish). That should balance out the window wall, fireplace wall and the hutch wall. it will also center the seating area with the fireplace. Hope this helps, love your changes.

• March 22, 2012 at 2:11 pm

I so love to see a new post from you come up, you do make me smile…..things like that happen to me ALL the time and I end up feeling like a 10 year old in the body of a stressed, almost 42 year old as I blush crimson at what I’ve just done…..Loving what you are doing with the lounge…love, love, love your huge sunshiny windows 🙂

• March 22, 2012 at 2:30 pm

I love the new chairs, the other new chairs & your sofa…I thought you had decided not to keep it a while back but I hope you are! A sofa like that is my heart’s desire…maybe someday! Your ordeals sound so like something I would do! It makes me laugh out LOUD to read your posts! I can see your little tiny self’s reflection in the tv above the fireplace…you are too cute & so far from po-dunk it isn’t even funny!!!

• March 22, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Now that I said I can see you I realize I may be wrong that it wasn’t you standing there taking a picture…I am the po-dunk one!

• March 22, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Ok, I think I live in totally the wrong area because I never see furniture like that on our Craigslist! Those are beautiful Rebecca and look awesome in the room. And, if you’re po-dunk we all are my friend! 🙂
    Vanessa

• March 22, 2012 at 3:58 pm

You keep me hopeful that Craigslist will help me someday!! 🙂 I love the chairs!! And, I, too am and Old, Podunk Dork!!! LOL!!! I like it better this way….being grown up is boring!!! 🙂

• March 22, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Normally, I would be all inspired to redecorate or rearrange my living room. However, after discovering the grandkids who live with me decided to play tic-tac-toe on my couch, I will admire your living room and only dream about the day when I get to decorate with furniture instead of wiping toddler goobies off it. 🙂 So, I’ll sit here with a cuppa’ coffee and pretend that gorgeous room is my room…

• March 22, 2012 at 6:04 pm

Ahhhh, I SO covet Craiglist!! Do we have it in the UK? And please – what does ‘Podunk’ mean? I feel like I may be one, but am unsure what one is ? 🙂

• March 22, 2012 at 11:42 pm

Love this~ Our craigslist is way more podunk than yours since deals like this never happen! People charge way too much for used stuff around here.
    Podunk, by the way Jackie, is backwoods, backwards, less than sophisticated, and maybe not so smart sometimes lol. I live there too only we like to call ourselves Rednecks. Ha! And I don’t consider Rebecca podunk-y at all.
    Craigslist here in the US is an online selling place like classified ads but cheaper and over a wider area.
    I agree with what Becky says about the hutch being too heavy for the space. Does it need to be in the living room at all? Your room would feel more spacious without it. Then those blue chairs could be moved over to angle together in the corner. My next step would be choosing paint. Then accessories.
    Fun! I love rearranging and repainting and reusing and repurposing. Woman after my own heart….

• March 23, 2012 at 6:30 pm

I don’t have an opinion I’m just eager to see what you do next 🙂 Love the chairs, I have a very similar layout for my family room stop by my blog and check it out. We recently gave it a makeover and I’m very pleased with it 🙂

• March 23, 2012 at 6:30 pm

• March 23, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Love the new chairs! I think the next steps should be a lighter rug or painting the trim white. I know you are painting the walls, but have you considered painting your trim too?
    Love how your transformation is turning out so far!

• March 24, 2012 at 2:16 am

I stumbled across your blog looking for…I actually don’t remember how I got here, I’ve been looking through your blog so long!! I think I was looking up a cork lamp kit :-/ Anyway, I noticed that Beaches is in Myrtle Beach, my mom lives in Shallotte not too far from you. I will have to check the store out when we come to visit in July. I have enjoyed reading your blog and I love what you are doing with chalk paint. Haven’t tried it yet but am getting the courage to. Please come visit me at http://www.mylifeincolorblog.com. ~ Kim

• March 29, 2012 at 12:34 am

I came upon your blog while visitng Making home. I hope this comment goes through. This is my third attempt. I like your chairs but I got more of a kick out your story of how you got the chairs. What a hoot! You are a funny story teller. I could just visualize you doing that and I could actually see myself getting into a situation like that. I needed a good laugh today. I just got back from walking my dogs and I chuckled while thinking about this story. I don’t know why, but this story had be gut busting laughing. What does your blog name mean you are talking too much? I guess that could describe me pretty well. I’m going to take a look around and see if you have any more funny stories.

• March 29, 2012 at 12:37 am

Well, now I’m really making a great impression. Sorry for all the misspelled words in my comment. I have difficulty typing on this I-pad and somehow deleted my last comment.