Because it is true….

*This is a repeat of today’s post for those that subscribe in reader form. I sent the first batch out incorrect! It was too important to not have the new blogs web address correct. The link below is correct. Thank you for so many kind words and support. Please visit thepowerofpink.me and read my sister’s story. Love, Me*

I have put off this post for a week or two now and I don’t really know why.

I keep telling myself that I am waiting for the right time.

That I’m not ready…..

But I think it is just the fact that sometimes reality “bites” and we put off facing it.

This is one of those times.

I am going to keep this brief today as I want the focus elsewhere.

Reality today.…..

In the last sixty days both of my sisters have been slapped in the face with breast cancer.

THE LAST SIXTY DAYS.

One sister received a diagnosis two months ago of non-invasive ductal carcinoma. She endured a lumpectomy and we all breathed a sigh of relief. Glad that she caught it early, happy it was out. Shortly after, another sister received a diagnosis of invasive ductal carcinoma.

IDC…..
Cancer.

Cancer?

Once the doctors realized that my one sister had the invasive form, they immediately wanted to treat my other sister with the NON invasive form with radiation.

So, here we are.

One sister began radiation yesterday. She will have 33 treatments.

The other sister is scheduled for a mastectomy on September 6th.

Both have young children.

Both have fears.

And what can I do?

I can pray.

I can be there for them.

I can worry……….

But my heart aches.

And I want to do more.

So, today I am sharing with you a new blog that I am starting. I will still keep YouAreTalkingTooMuch.com. This is separate and I am not sure where it will go. It is not MY blog and you will understand that when you visit it. I will have to see where God leads it.

I am also sharing with you a new Facebook page that I have started. Same thing…..not sure of where it will go. It is not my page.

I just want to give my sisters more ammunition.

More support.

More information.

More community.

You know….for years I saw the pink ribbons.

And I thought I understood.

I thought, I got it.

I had NO clue.

No clue…..

It is not about a pink ribbon.

It is about the power of the pink ribbon.

Today, I am asking all of my readers to help empower my sisters but to empower women everywhere.

Cancer “is“…..

And until it “isn’t“……

Then we will fight it……..

Together.

Please pray for my family.

You can visit my new blog at www.thepowerofpink.me. Please follow it as I begin to tell the story of my sister and her fight against breast cancer. There are so many wonderful sites out there. Please don’t think I think this is something special. It is hopefully just one more place to empower those facing breast cancer.

I ask that you also like the Facebook page that goes with it. http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Power-Of-Pink/438398702870933?ref=hl.

Please share both with as many people as you can. Get the story out and may we empower women everywhere in honor of my sisters.

As you read my sisters story on www.thepowerofpink.me, would you take the time to give her encouragement? I would appreciate it.

I love you all.

Breast Cancer Tumblr Themes

7 thoughts on “Because it is true….

• August 9, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Oh my goodnes, I’m so sorry for all of you. Optomism and prayer and making sure you take care of You, will see you through this. Please let anyone offering any kind of help to do so, it’s a blessing for you and them! Maybe time to start a personal journal or whatever seems uplifting, and see every funny movie you can. You’re not alone, sending love and prayers to you and your family.

• August 9, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Your sisters, and you, are in my prayers! It is a reminder to all of us to do our monthly checks, and to be crazy vigilant about getting even little things checked out; your doctor shouldn’t mind a bit.

• August 10, 2012 at 2:12 am

Rebecca, I’m so sad for all of you. I hope your sisters have faith as strong as yours, it’ll make such a difference. I have a friend who had cancer in her 20s, went the aggressive treatment route, has had 2 kids, a long marriage and is in her healthy 40s now. I hope this can be an encouragement. I’ll be following. xoxo
    Janet

• August 10, 2012 at 2:56 am

I really hope everything works out well for both of your sisters. Perhaps this is a good chance for you to see your doctor for a check as well, just to be on the safe side as your sisters have it in the genes. My mom and sister were both checked after my grandma had to remove a piece of her breasts. They were both both had lumps but nothing was serious and nothing had to be done. I’m no trying to scare you by any means, I just want to make sure you’re healthy.
    Good luck with everything!

• Pingback: Goodbyes » You Are Talking Too Much

• August 31, 2012 at 9:41 pm

In 1983 when my mother was 53, she felt a lump in her breast and went to her physician. He couldn’t feel it and told her to go home and not to worry. She was worried so she made an appointment with the surgeon who had taken out her gallbladder. He could feel it and scheduled her for surgery quickly. I remember arriving at her hospital room with my dad and sister sitting on the bed. Mom was still in recovery, but my sister was crying and I could tell my father had been, too. I was 18 at the time and they didn’t tell me anything other than that they found it was cancer and they were removing her breast. Many years later my sister told me that the surgeon had come in and told them that the cancer was found in all the lymph nodes that they had taken except one. He told her that he expected she would have approximately 6 months to live, but if my mom wanted, they would try chemo to see if she could get more time.

My mother lived for 24 more years. She got to meet and spend time with all five of her grandchildren. She even got to see some of them graduate from high school and start college. She got to see two more of her children get married. My mother lived until she was 76 years old. A good life. My mother taught me so many things, but one of the biggest is that doctors don’t know everything. Every individual is different. Tell your sisters to fight with everything they have. And don’t be defeated if they get news they don’t like. My mom did 6 months of chemo after that first surgery. She had to do chemo one more time and radiation twice more. She fought until the end. I am glad that she did because she got to meet my daughter and took care of her until she started kindergarten so my husband and I didn’t have to put her in day care. My daughter is a special girl and a big part of that is because of how much love my mother showered on her.

And her cancer was invasive ductal carcinoma, too. I will pray for both of your sisters. Just know that you never need to feel hopeless because there is always hope.

Jenny