Thrifted fruit bowls

I know you have all seen these babies at thrift stores.

Not the pumpkins.

The container.

The bowl.

The stand……(sorry for the out of focus pic)

Old.Outdated.Fruit-bowls.

The end.

What do you do with them?

My first thought was paint….but with fall almost here…..my second thought was keeping it the original wood stained color.

It could have a whole new life.

Maybe I’m wrong.

Nah…..

I like it!

Just like it is.

After fall.

It will be getting another new life and a coat of paint.

What do you think?

Ever seen them?

They are usually dirt cheap because they are so outdated.

What would you do with it?

By the way.

I am trying the chippy-orange-shelfy-thingy as a center-piece.

What do you think?

Too much?

Two fun and thrifted items to help bring the fall season in.

So, what do you think?

Have anything lying around that you can use? Wooden? Chippy?

Ever passed up a fruit bowl?

I can’t wait to hear what you think!

PS.

I’m linking up to:

17 thoughts on “Thrifted fruit bowls

• September 21, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Have I ever seen one? I OWNED one! I used to put balls of yarn in my maple fruit bowl. Sure don’t have it anymore but wish I did because yours is wonderful for fall. It will be great in white for Christmas with silver ornaments and keep the white for spring with green grass and Easter eggs……….oh my, why did I give mine away? I’m sure I can get one at Goodwill. BTW, your chippy piece is fab on your table……..just like I envisioned it!

• September 22, 2012 at 6:45 am

Maybe I bought yours! ; ) Good luck finding a new/old/used one again!!! Love, Me

• September 21, 2012 at 8:28 pm

How wide is the orange chippy piece? If it’s not very wide, it would be darling ob your kitchen counter against the wall with stuff on top and stuff underneath………gives a lot more storage area!

• September 22, 2012 at 6:44 am

That is funny that you say that. I tried it in my bathroom thinking it might be neat over the faucet area and then tried in the kitchen as well. Sat too low for faucet and my husband’s rival football teams color is orange, so he wasn’t feeling the love with the orange piece in our kitchen. ; ) I will have to come up with a fun place after fall! Thanks for the feedback on centerpiece. I think you are right and it works!!! Love, Me

• September 21, 2012 at 8:30 pm

I love these bowls.I’ve painted and sold a few and I use one to keep our banana’s in. I love the center piece.

• September 22, 2012 at 6:43 am

You are smart girl! I have missed them. Great item to sell! Thanks about the center piece. Wasn’t really sure! Love, Me

• September 22, 2012 at 6:42 am

I love that it is too!!!! If it doesn’t, let me know!!!! Love, Me

• September 22, 2012 at 6:42 am

Thank you Audrey! Luck of the draw. Hitting some yard sales this morning. Maybe I will find another goody! : ) Love, Me

• September 22, 2012 at 12:02 am

Adore the whole look….fab work! When you do paint the fruit bowl, will you have to apply a sealer on it before filling it up with fruit? I have one similar that I’d love to paint. Any info on painting and finishing it would be appreciated!
    Thanks bunches:)

• September 22, 2012 at 6:41 am

Hello Rita! I will definitely seal it and I would most likely us Minwax paste. It is my favorite. The old bowl had staining etc in the bowl area which shows how the fruit can damage the wood. So seal away! What color are you going to paint yours? I’m thinking red. A little pop of color in my kitchen and can be played with throughout the year. Or what about green? Or….what if you like the orange chippy look? So many possibilities! Let me know! Would love to see it! Love, Me

• September 22, 2012 at 6:41 am

That you Laura! I feel so fancy that I have “vignettes”. I had to google that btw. ; ) Love, Po-Dunk Me

• September 22, 2012 at 8:23 am

I found one that is rectangular and I painted it with ASCP Old White. It’s great for any seasonal display.

Love, love, love that orange chippy bench!

• September 22, 2012 at 9:58 am

Beautiful! I wish I had an ounce of imagination to make my house so beautiful.

• September 22, 2012 at 9:49 pm

Like both; I’m with you-leave the fruit bowl as is now, then paint when fall’s a memory. And I like your vignette (miss sophisticate), lol. I can just see thanksgiving dinner, “Throw me some turkey over that orange, chippy thing, will ya?” Chuckles.
    Janet