Brass lantern…with spray paint!

Do you love the look of an outdoor brass lantern?

I do !

I have lanterns placed here and there in our outdoor living space, but they had seen better days.

And purchasing a brass lantern is not in my budget right now.

So…take a small budget…an old lantern…and a can of spray paint, and this is what you can have!

brass lanterns at 2

I love this transformation.

SO easy and cheap!

My old lanterns were pitiful.

brass lanterns at 6

Told ya‘.

I wanted a brass lantern but had a teensy-tiny budget.

So what do we DIY’ers do? We improvise!

This was simple.

I didn’t have to tape off my lanterns before I painted them because they had little metal tabs that you could push down. The kind that are on the back of many photo frames. I just pushed those down, took out the glass…….dumped out the pine cones, rust, seven-hundred-year-old candles and literally painted one coat of Rustoleum’s Gold Metallic spray paint.

brass lanterns at 7

It went on like liquid gold.

I was fascinated.

Like… fascinated that I tested it on EV.ERY.THING.

It covers grass and sand really well.

In case you wondered.

brass lanterns at 1

What a fun update!!!

brass lanterns at 3

And a little pop of “fancy” in our outdoor space.

brass lanterns at 5

It covered the rust great, and I’m not worried about it stopping the rust.

I just wanted to add some NEW “life” to my old and worn out lanterns.

What do you think?

Like the brass lantern look?

Do you have anything that could use this update?

I would love to know.

PS. Please excuse the photos. I am using my super, DUPER, old, point and shoot until my new batter charger comes in for my Nikon. The.End.

PPS. I’m linking up to:

13 thoughts on “Brass lantern…with spray paint!

• June 21, 2013 at 6:32 pm

Nice!!! I have some black ones that the Florida sun has well, wrecked havoc on the poor finish. Thanks for the idea. Sooo using that. Not sure what colour as yet though.
    Happy weekend! Happy 1st day of summer.
    Hugs, Gee

• June 22, 2013 at 8:12 am

Glad you can use the idea! Can’t wait to hear about your transformation. Post it on my Facebook page and inspire others. XOXO! Me

• June 21, 2013 at 6:52 pm

Super cute! I love the transformation…what a great idea!

• June 22, 2013 at 8:13 am

Thank you Holly! Love the spray paint! Can’t wait to find something else to transform. XOXO!

• June 22, 2013 at 9:35 am

Beautiful, and so bright! Love them!

• June 22, 2013 at 5:19 pm

Ack!! Kim, do you ever have those moments when you find out someone has just posted the project you were working in that very day??!! Yeah- me too….brass lanterns! Yours look beautiful, think I will delay my post a few weeks! 😉

• June 27, 2013 at 6:38 am

I do Becca! I can’t wait to see yours! Post away! It is a big bloggy world out there! XOXO Rebecca

• June 27, 2013 at 6:38 am

Thank you Ginger. Re-purposing feels so good. : ) XOXO!

• June 26, 2013 at 12:10 pm

Beautiful!! and I am a brassaholic, so this is right up my alley!
    Found you this morning, and have been reading backward in your blog…you have some wonderful ideas, so I will be signing up to keep up with you…
    now remember….I’m old, so go slow!! :^)
    Blessings to you,